Quantcast

Vaporware

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Other than the redundant power a part 103 gyroplane with a good pre-rotator could fill most of the above list of wants.

Regarding the 60 Hp VW engine: (thread drift)

I've got all the needed tools, a collection of cores and the experience to build them.
Unlike Pops I've just never been able to emotionally bring myself to feel comfortable with one for aviation use. I've seen too many broken ones over the years, both ground bound and aviation converted. I know there is nothing fundamentally wrong with them - it's just my personal problem. A purpose built head and a tweaked version of the Force One hub would go a long way toward making me feel comfortable enough.

addicted2climbing

Log Member
I know that I am not the only person wanting a trailerable aircraft. Making it simply fold into garage would really make it popular.
Type?
I'd usually like a sport plane. Bush planes look like they may be fun in areas that aren't split between trees and people...
Engine. Lots of cheapskates here. For a single place, a good industrial conversion would be popular.

I'm already working on the 'perfect' 103 sport plane 😜 A bush 103 may follow that.
If we cover it in foreskins, it will be the size of a Pou Du Ciel, but give it a gentle rub and poof it now can hold full fuel and 6 people and 4 pairs of golf clubs....

trimtab

Single seat, 325 lb useful after full fuel.
Accommodate a 6'8 pilot without issues
450 mi range.
265 mph cruise.
VTOL or < 100' takeoff and land at 9000' DA
Cost less than $60k to scratch build.
No need to be trailerable due to TO/landing performance for someone with a rural property, but would be nice in any case.

I can dream.

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
I would like a Part-103 compliant ultralight where no pilot certificate, aircraft registration, insurance or taxes are required.

Like a paramotor, it would be cheap to purchase ($8k to 12k price range) and it would store in my garage. Unlike a paramotor, it would handle windy conditions and turbulent air with grace and safety, and it would have very nice control and handling characteristics in all flight modes (especially at stall).

It would be capable of cruising at 48 to 55 mph, but would also be capable of flying slow enough for foot launching and have good off-field performance, because I generally don't want to use it at airports unless attending an airshow, or fly-in. I'd prefer it to have an easy foot launch where I can just run off the ground, but something with bush capable landing gear could be acceptable as well.

It would fit in a cargo trailer, or possibly even the back of a pickup, with no more than 2 minutes of preparation to go from transport to flying configuration, or back. It would be resistant to hangar-rash, or in this case trailer-rash, and also be quick and inexpensive to repair if something does happen.

It would have redundant propulsion for safe operation at low altitude and over hostile terrain. It would run on 87 octane mo-gas without expensive 2-stroke oil mixed in, and be able to squeeze 2.5 hours of cruise out of 5 gallons of fuel.

It would be easy to convert it over to float operation so I can fly it off the water when I want to do that, and it should also be able to carry camping gear in case I want to use it to go camping on some remote mountain lake.

How does this sound to the rest of you-all? Am I alone, or is my 'perfect aircraft' perfect for you too?
I don't know about foot launched, and I'd like to go highway speed or it's faster to drive...Folding wings, and quick change floats/skis would be fun. I'd like a zip on cover for when it's folded, to help avoid bumps and rash. They need to inflate the 103 reg closer to the current LSA numbers, when they open up LSA to heavier legacy aircraft. 250 is just too low for modern giant pilots (not fat, I'm 6'4" 245# and proportional). If 103 was 450 airframe, with a MTOW of ~900 and a 10 gallon tank, it would be sweet.

Last edited:

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
Actually, I think a Doak 16 would check most of my boxes, even if it was scaled down some. Ducted fans driven by a single engine, VTOL or roll for TO and landing. Combine a Volksplane with a Doak, and you'd have a smallish, lightish, pretty capable LSA that has low price and ease of build baked in...