Ultralight Trike Questions

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Harley

Ultralight Trike Questions

Hello all!:ban:

So after being Inspired by the internet video “Surfing the Clouds" I have decided that my first endeavor into flying will be in a weight-shifting trike.

Now...... the questions once again arise......Any help would be great!

1. I live in Burlington, WI does anyone know where a trike flying club in Wisconsin is?

2. Where is the best place to find used trikes for sale?

3. What are some of the best companies that make trikes?

4. Are there certain designs or models I should stay away from?

5. I hear with Trikes that it’s not a necessity to have a ballistic parachute due to the fact that if your engine cuts out you can just glide back down?(I think I will get one either way)

6. Does anyone have any parts or supplies for trikes that they are looking to get rid of? Or just don't use anymore?

Thanks again guys I hope this post gets as much attention as my first one! You guys are the best!
:ban:​

autoreply

I hear with Trikes that it’s not a necessity to have a ballistic parachute due to the fact that if your engine cuts out you can just glide back down?(I think I will get one either way)
Any aircraft, whether it's a Starfighter or a trike can safely glide back and make a perfect landing if an appropriate spot is available (the trike is way more likely to find an appropriate place and I dare say it can safely touch down on 95% of the earths surfaces with decent altitude).
Chutes are not a necessity. They are handy in "certain death" situations. Think of a broken wing (mid-air collision), being sucked in a thunderstorm, or you forgetting to do a vital thing to your airplane, like not locking a certain wire/connection/control/whatever.

As to the rest of your questions; kapitalism has a good track record. If a company has dozens or hundreds of their designs flying, it's extremely likely to be a good/decent design.

Harley

Awesome, thanks the for the input. Do you know of any good places to buy used trikes? also have you seen that online video yet? if not its worth checking out.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
As Autoreply said, chutes are for disasters... an engine out is not (or should not be) a disaster, but simply a forced landing. But I bet to differ on using a chute to escape cloud suck.

Not many trike people here as not many of them are homebuilt. You need to consider whether you'll go the Sport Pilot route and buy a 2-seater, or buy a single seat ultralight trike, which requires no license at all. At my local field we have both; a 2 seat Air Creations trike and a single seat ultralight trike from North Wing. Both good machines, but quite different.

-Dana

Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up, you get a lot of scum on top.

ARP

Harley,

I suggest you find a flying school and have a trial lesson on a trike. You will need lessons anyway and it will give you an idea if it is what you want to be flying in. I fly trikes and have a parachute fitted as a personal preference but most trike pilots do not. In 30 years of trike flying it has not been needed. In that time I have had about 8 engine outs but as Autoreply and Dana indicate it is not a disaster and your instructor will show you how to cope with such things.

Tony

Harley

Harley,

I suggest you find a flying school and have a trial lesson on a trike. You will need lessons anyway and it will give you an idea if it is what you want to be flying in. I fly trikes and have a parachute fitted as a personal preference but most trike pilots do not. In 30 years of trike flying it has not been needed. In that time I have had about 8 engine outs but as Autoreply and Dana indicate it is not a disaster and your instructor will show you how to cope with such things.

Tony
Good stuff Tony Thanks, just to ease everyones minds I plan to get my sports pilots license, and for sure go up in a trike many times before I decide to buy one.
But I still need some of the questions I asked in my original post, where is the best place to buy one etc.

Thanks for everyones input keep it coming in I am learning alot!

Nickathome

We've got a guy at our airport who stops in now and again with a his trike. He most always shows up about an hour before dusk, and on the calmest of days(which isn't too often). Since this man doesn't keep his trike at the airport, he has to assemble it each time he goes up and it seems fairly labor intensive. He has the trike on a small trailer and the wing rolled up on his roof. Takes him about 45 minutes to setup. When he flies its really neat to watch but the trike is painfully slow. If he's doing 35 MPH I'd say that's pushing it. It looks like it would be a blast to fly. The only thing that would stop me is the fact that it seems that about 90% of the weather most of us fly in and don't thin ktwice, would ground the trike.

ARP

Nick,

Most modern trikes can handle far more onerous weather conditions than you indicate. The stall on the trike I operate is 38mph with a top speed of 100mph others are higher. With a +6g &-3g loading they are also as strong as most light aircraft with individual seat loadings of 110kg. Check out the seat load rating on light aircraft. A cross wind limit of 15mph, for take of and landing, might limit flying but with a square flying field (250mx250m) you could land directly into wind every time.

Tony

pazorin

At my local field we have both; a 2 seat Air Creations trike and a single seat ultralight trike from North Wing. Both good machines, but quite different.
From your personal experience, what are the main differences between an Air Creation and a North Wing? I am going to purchase a trike and within my list of wishes I do have an Air Creation and also a North Wing. Would be very interesting to know what is your feeling about each of these. Thanks! Pablo.

ARP

Pablo,

I am not sure what Dana means by " quite different" but the principles of layout and control are much the same on most trikes, constructional detail will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. The range of trikes made by North Wing may include two seat versions and will be built to meet certain standards. I fly a P&M trike made in the UK and again the princples are the same. Best to check out the performance figures on all available manufactured trikes and see which one meets your requirements the best, within your price range.

Tony

Attachments

Last edited:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am not sure what Dana means by " quite different" but the principles of layout and control are much the same on most trikes..
The layout and control are the same, but in this case the North Wing is a very light ultralight soaring trike, single seat, open, with a 28HP Simonini engine, whereas the other is a much larger 2 seater with fuselage enclosure and a Rotax 582.

Dana

When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water.

ARP

Dana,

North Wing make a range of aircraft including two seat trikes which I think is what Pablo is looking for. Check out their web site :- North Wing · Quality Light Sport Aircraft, Weight Shift Control Ultralight Trikes & Wings, Hang Gliders · phone 509.886.4605

Tony

Pablo's post :- Re: Hang glider trike plans
I am just trying to find a nice 2 seats trike plans. Does anybody of you have any of these to share with me? Thanks!​

Last edited: