• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Ultralight Training: Tell me your experiences!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris In Marshfield

Staff member
Supporting Member
As you all may have heard me discuss in the past, it is my intention in the next year to earn my Sport Pilot CFI, obtain a training LODA for my Quicksilver MX Sprint II, and provide transition training for folks who are seeking to start in or move to US Part 103 or equivalent ultralights from GA or higher platforms. I know some of you fly ultralights now, and some of you have even been ultralight instructors in a past life. For those of you who are either of those, or if you're interested in flying ultralights and have some training objectives in mind, please share them with me -- and of course all of HBA!

What I'm interested in learning from you:
  • What positive experiences did you have from a past flight training session?
  • What negative experiences did you have from a past flight training session?
  • What technique/activity did your instructor teach you that was the most valuable?
  • What did you think would have been a good addition to your flight training session(s) that you didn't receive?
  • What did you think was unnecessary to learn from a past flight training session?
  • What type of learner are you? Did you "get it" after reading your provided training material/syllabus or are you a practical learner?
  • What kind of training aids do you wish you had while learning to fly ultralights that are easily obtainable today?
  • If you're flying ultralights and did not have any kind of formal instruction, what would you recommend to a person starting out? What did you do during your self-training evolution that you found the most valuable?
What I'm not interested in:
  • How things used to be "back in the day". Those days are gone and they're not coming back. I'm working within current regulations. I honestly don't care to parse through a bunch of "I wish they'd just do XYZ like they used to..." or what some ABC organization did to your favorite activity. I'll delete those comments in a second!
  • Reliving your days of when you used to be a careless rebel trying to kill yourself in a cornfield.
As the president and a member of an ultralight chapter, I receive requests about ultralight training weekly. I'm looking to fill an obvious void in the world. I'm also hoping to get some folks here at HBA excited at the opportunity of flying ultralights for the joy of it and doing it safely! And maybe even get past ultralight instructors excited about training again. Sharing your training experiences with the greater community will help those who have been on the fence or afraid to ask the questions themselves.

So please share freely and respectfully! I know there are some very experienced folks in this area. @jedi , I'm looking forward to hearing your advice especially!

Best regards,
Chris

Last edited:
Back