• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

To what out-of-production aircraft would you buy the rights, if you wanted to start a 'kit-plane' company?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

al m

Right, lets say you've decided the world needs a cheap, good airframe into which to put the latest avionics and engines and what-not...

You don't want to re-invent the wheel, you just want the end-user to get the most bang for their buck, whilst shifting 2 - 4 people (your choice!) in an aircraft designed to certifiable standards. Your "cunning" plan is to persuade some firm that's already done the hard design work to flog it to you for pennies on the dollar.

I have to confess I've left the question very open because I'm as curious about how people define 'bang', as well as the airframe candidates people put forward. It doesn't even absolutely *have* to have been produced; for example the BD-4C is designed to meet FAR part-23 requirements, and it's demonstrably a worthy candidate for a kit-plane that'd seem to to deliver a lot of bang for one's buck...

My pick would be the Republic Fairchild RC-3 Seabee. Would anyone else care to throw an airframe into the ring?

Attachments

• Republic_SeaBee.jpg
    Republic_SeaBee.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back