• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

These prize competitions are dumb. No wonder no one takes them up.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumanPoweredDesigner

I wish I could edit the title of this thread. These competitions are not dumb. The law suit laws are dumb. If people had to take responsibility for their own actions, and could not sue AHS for their own mistakes, then we would not need the $1 million dollar insurance rule that prevents non-millionaires like me from competing.

In a nut shell, I was venting about a week ago when I discovered that insurance for a prize contest appeared to cost as much as the prize, and that even after the prize was raised, it was still impossible for a backyard designer to come up with the insurance money. I got my hopes up, spent hundreds of hours designing, spent a few hundreds on test materials, and then got my dream shot down when I learned that no one would insure this.

I'm not giving up though. I'm trying to find a back door way in. I'm saving up to buy all the materials myself, and then I'll fly it myself and convince someone it is safe and get them to insure me. That or I'll find a loop hole and let them see me fly with no contest contract. Then after it is over and all is safe, I'll let them see the designs in exchange for the money. Something like that.

Last edited:
Back