• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

The Dilemma of Changing Missions and Human Evolution

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbrochey

The end of he year is fast approaching and I've been reflecting on how when we change our missions, our airplane needs may also change. In mid 1980's I was obsessed with building a Prescott Pusher (really glad that didn't work out) and as I've gotten older I realize more and more how my needs, and what I consider my flying 'mission' has slipped around, sometimes rudderless... and when you add medical issues into the mix (natural aging process) it seems even harder to grasp the right direction. A couple years ago I thought I'd have to settle for low and slow (which I do love) and that getting from point A to point B wasn't that important anymore and given the surgeries and therapies I'd have to limit my time at the throttle anyway... so if I wanted to build it had to be simple and quick. I realized too how much of that was just in my head. My wife (who is much smarter than me) told me when I was about 54 and thinking of taking some anthropology classes at UNM and I was hesitating because I would be '55', "Well you're going to be 55 with or without the knowledge you want from these classes, you decide". So here it is, another year and I've had a lot to deal with over the past few for sure, but I feel great, I'm not on any medication any more and flying from point A to point B is definitely doable.. does that mean my 'mission' is changing? I am learning to weld so that has certainly opened some otherwise closed options. I've started the low and slow plane and I will continue it... but what about something for point A to point B? I'll be 69 next year whether I build both or not... food for thought.

I took the UNM anthropology classes... ;)

Prescott Pusher

1200px-Prescott_Pusher.jpg

Last edited:
Back