Thatcher Cx4 what do you think?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

dreamflyer

Goldsboro N.C home of Seymour Johnson AFB..
I know the single seat option sucks? but that in a way what attraches me to it. I've been looking at all metal replica WWII firghter aircraft. I have to draw the line and think.? What do i actually want in a plane.? I wanted an WWII fighter plane replica. I know this plane doesn't look like a P-51 mustang but,i have to be realistic.? The loehle and titan are just way out of my price range and to add the flight instruction cost.? I've looked at the WAR replica plans or cost and they don't seem to be that much interest in the them in the P-51 catagory and that sends up red flags to me.? I think the thatcher has a good look about it and it seems it has some decent charistics about it and i really think i could build this bird if you know what i mean.?

kent Ashton

It's an attractive little plane and there is a lot of internet builder support. With fuel prices inevitably going up, it'll be nice to operate a VW on 3-4 GPH, too. Building from plans is very manly. (Uh, hope you are a dude. ;) ) Go for it.

Nickathome

The CX-4 is a very attractive plane, and I thought of building one. However since its plans built, and being I have never built a plane before, I decided it more prudent to build from a kit. Yes, scratch building may seem like the cheapest way to go, but unless you've got experience scratch building, I think you will wind up spending alot more money, and using up an inordinant amount of time searching out materials, building ribs, correcting mistakes, etc.

TFF

I think it looks pretty good.
The big question is, are you building to fly or are you building to build. Barnstormers is full of decent projects at great prices that would take a fraction of work to get flying than building a whole airplane. Because of the time it takes to complete a plane, you have to want to build it almost more than fly it. I bought a project; because after 20 years of collecting plans, I was not getting anywhere trying to find "the perfect" plane. It will get me in the air, get my hands dirty with some of the details to build one day, and wont take 12 years of part time work to complete. The whole plane also cost the same as a new set of flying wires for it. I know what you are going through; you want a P51 and I want a Spitfire; I guess if you twisted my arm one inch/pound I would have a 51.

snaildrake

What do i actually want in a plane.? I wanted an WWII fighter plane replica. I know this plane doesn't look like a P-51 mustang but,i have to be realistic.?
You can do a lot with paint schemes, you know...I've seen Ercoupes, Luscombes, Cessnas, RVs, all kinds of planes in military colors, and they all look pretty cool.

Being overly realistic is highly overrated. Without dreams life can be pretty dull. -Dan

57Marty

I think that if you like the plane and it fits your flying needs than it might be time to buy the plans and do some studying. That's what I did back in 2005 when I started mt scratch built Wag 2+2. I am now 1600 hours into my scratch built, first project. If there is good internet builders support and you feel comfortable asking for help then you will be just fine. I think the home built movement has been kind of spoiled in the last 10-15 years with the long list of really nice kits available. Just remember, everything used to be scratch built, there were no kits other than maybe some partial material kits or specialty parts available for the more popular plans available. You might really enjoy as I have the feeling of accomplishment as you finish major parts. I have my fuselage on the gear; tail feathers ready to cover, left wing ready for control surfaces, and right wing about two weeks behind the left's status. I have the engine, prop, radios, wheels, and lots more and have spent maybe $12k. This is for a full size 4 place tailgragger; try getting even a basic fuselage kit for those $$$ for many of the kit planes on the market today. Scratch building allows you to buy at your own pace and build a little at a time.
57Marty

Bimini57

I spoke to Dave at Sun-n-Fun this year. I think, as you mentioned concerning WWII type replicas being costly, that the CX4 is a GREAT choice. I'm sure that you're also aware of the CX5 in developement.

I sat in the CX4 and LOVED IT! I'm 5'10" and about 200lbs and I thought the cockpit was perfect. Throttle, stick, everything, right where it should be. Very comfortable. A beautiful little plane - and Dave Thatcher is a very nice gentleman!

Hope this was helpful,
Glenn

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Glenn,
Thanks for the post and the update. The OP (dreamflyer) hasn't posted for about 15 months, so he may not see your update.
I like the CX4 a lot, and am looking forward to the two-place CX5. Dave Thatcher promised a CX4 trigear version and now it's flying, hopefully this will clear the way for accelerated work on the CX5. I think it will be a popular plane.

The CX4 trigear:

It's not quite as pretty as the TD version, but still good looking to my eye. The nose gear only costs about 3 kts at cruise speed, and, as they say, "if you don't care for the looks, remember that you can't see it when you're flying."

I finished the build and certification (40 hr) test flt hrs. This aircraft is the best of all plan/kit built plane. If you want a plane that flies, maneuvers, as a P-51 this is it. It does have one problem. It doesn not go down and slow down, without the speed brake mod. I broke a crankshaft/prop in flight and the plane saved my life! I glided about a mile back to the field and landed safely. That show how well designed this great little plane is. It has one of the best glide ratios and is fast. Harold
A couple of builders of the CX4 have painted their planes in military paint schemes.

I finished the build and certification (40 hr) test flt hrs. This aircraft is the best of all plan/kit built plane. If you want a plane that flies, maneuvers, as a P-51 this is it. It does have one problem. It doesn not go down and slow down, without the speed brake mod. I broke a crankshaft/prop in flight and the plane saved my life! I glided about a mile back to the field and landed safely. That show how well designed this great little plane is. It has one of the best glide ratios and is fast. I tried to sale this plane for $7000. and if you put an engine on it now, It will be worth $18,000 but would only be able to get $14,000. at the most. Harold
Resale value sucks for any single-place aircraft. Otherwise it looks like an interesting option :)

N804RV

HBA Supporter
It seems to me the RV-3 is an in-demand single place plane.
I think there's a growing contingent of us "old farts" that want a sporty airplane. But, realize we don't need or want the expense and added weight of a passenger carrying vehicle. I'm building an -8 now, because I thought I had to have 2 seats back when I started. If I were starting today, I'd build an RV-3 or a Midget Mustang.