Quantcast

Swarming Drones. Biggest Thing Since Nuclear Bomb? 60 Minutes 1/8/17

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Texas Flyer

Swarming Drones.
Biggest Thing Since The Nuclear Bomb?
Will Revolutionize Warfare?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-autonomous-drones-set-to-revolutionize-military-technology/

If you saw 60 Minutes last night you were totally fascinated by Swarming Drones.

Actually, very frightening.
Like a lot of new technological advances, a lot of potential for good, but even more for evil.

I hope someone can get the video to play here.

How can such a small thing survive after being ejected from a jet going about the speed of sound and survive?

Last edited:

pwood66889

Small, light weight, not enough inertia to get torn apart by the winds. Compact structure.
Yes, I saw that "60 Minutes" piece and was interested.
Have a work mate that does drones. Need to ride him in a real one.
Percy in SE Bama

ScaleBirdsScott

Drone Swarm.

The end is drone swarm.

Who needs boots on the ground when you just need millions of cheap flying murder bots? Surgical, sweeping, it's wild.

The tech is really cool and it is unavoidable, but it'll all lead to drone swarm eventually.

ToddK

HBA Supporter
I cannot image a more horrific future. It's like a more lethal version of the mechanical hound in Fahrenheit 451. In real war (where the governments and populations of both sides face real and emanate destruction) effectiveness very often takes a back seat to ethics. If AI drones work better without a person on the other end ready to click the kill button, there is no decision to be made. Scotts term "murder bots" is correct. They will be unleashed in large numbers. Frankly in many ways I see this as a golden age in human civilization, one that is perched on the precipice of destruction and tyranny.

Aesquire

Like I said when some General announced the next generation of drones would have autonomous targeting systems.

"name the movie where building the unstoppable killing machine was a good idea"

BJC

HBA Supporter
The invention of gunpowder evoked a similar conversation among knights, archers and royalty way back when.

BJC

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
The invention of gunpowder evoked a similar conversation among knights, archers and royalty way back when.
Yes, it sounds pretty scary but it's just another session of measure/counter measure.

There is always the EMP solution and my brother tells me his radar could actually track the 20mm from his Phalanx guns so hitting a swarm of drones should be no problem - with the right hardware.

Wanttaja

How can such a small thing survive after being ejected from a jet going about the speed of sound and survive?[/FONT]
Put it in a pod that pops off when the speed drops sufficiently. Or use a Cluster Bomb sort of munition that carries a bunch, and opens and dispenses at the appropriate speed/altitude.

Ron Wanttaja

Victor Bravo

I'm working on my infomercial now....

"That's right... only three easy payments of $99.00 and you can have your own personal Drone-B-Gone EMP device! Harmless to your pets and children, the powerful EMP pulse eliminates drones within a 500 foot radius. But wait! We'll throw in a SECOND Drone-B-Gone FREE (just pay separate processing)! That's TWO Drone-B-Gone personal EMP units for only$299!"

All kidding aside, the concept of autonomous little devices flying around and stalking you like a science fiction movie is pretty terrifying. Perhaps even more so because in today's world we have learned that things like this CAN be invented and developed.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Well, it's probably a step better than carpet bombing every man woman and child.
But a step worse than the outdated concept of a trial by jury before execution.

lr27

I dunno. I don't like them, but I'm pretty sure it's not the apocalypse just yet, unless we're already there. Consider:
-It's already possible to read enormous amounts of email automatically, keep track of your browsing, and, I think, monitor your phone calls for key words.
-Cameras take pictures of your car all over the place.
-Companies sell allegedly anonymous data from which, I've read, it's pretty easy to pick out one person's information.
-Other companies drive around taking infrared images of our houses. Some of the info from those pictures could be used for other purposes than finding heat leaks.
-Another country used hacking to try to influence our elections.
-The above are only what we know about.
-Many gruesome weapons have already been used. Nukes, chemical weapons, huge clouds of pointy metal things dropped on troop movements, biological weapons, napalm, cluster bombs, fire bombing, yada yada yada...
-The CEP* for Fedex is probably about 5 feet.
*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_error_probable

If these atrocities are not happening so often, it's because many people decided not to use them, or there was some excellent police work. Probably both. But there will be exceptions, and in wars or "domestic crises" there will be MANY exceptions.

ScaleBirdsScott

I'm sure answers and solutions can be found on the way. As we reach higher and further, the consequences too climb the same ladder.

We should pursue this, but humanity also has to continually evolve what it means to survive and thrive.

It could be the end of us, like nuclear weapons or a massive rock or a zombie outbreak could be the end of us. But even if it doesn't end us, it will change us. Automation will likely end the 20th century concept of employment for good. Something else will replace that concept. Autonomous soldiers will fight other autonomous soldiers. I can't predict what society will do but it hopefully will be one where random extremists don't try and turn robots on the humans.

Or, the robots will get smart, get wise, and find the center of The Maze, before turning on us all.

Apollo

Automation will likely end the 20th century concept of employment for good. Something else will replace that concept. Autonomous soldiers will fight other autonomous soldiers....
Perhaps wars in the next century will be fought by computer simulation. In Star Trek's "A Taste of Armageddon", two enemies fought their decades-long war by simulation. But it was all too real, because if your home was destroyed in a simulation, you had 24 hours to report to a termination station. People dutifully complied or faced execution if they didn't. It was considered a civilized version of warfare since infrastructure was preserved, there were no wounded, no refugees or starving masses... Captain Kirk's solution to end this madness was brilliant!

The swarming drones remind me of killer bees or that old movie, The Birds. The collision avoidance technology (CAT) is impressive and will benefit aviation. Whether its autonomous cars or drones, we're all gonna need CAT in the future!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Taste_of_Armageddon

Last edited: