Source for strut fairings...

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
A Google search for plastic streamline strut fairings turned up a number of hits. I did not follow further, but some looked interesting.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
I would like to find the plastic covers that the attached pic shows....they slide over the tubing.
A Google search brought up a few sites but the majority want a minimum order of a couple 100 feet... or they were priced about $15 a foot.
I remember buying some of this material,years ago,and it was priced around $5 - $6 a foot......but I cant remember where I got it though.
Thought maybe someone might know of a good source at a decent price now...

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
FritzW.....that is the material that I'm looking for and I have seen that exact article.
Unfortunately,Ultralight News is just a publication and they don't sell anything....they didn't even list a supplier in the article.
That article is fairly old also....
Did you see something in the article that I overlooked?
Who is the manufacturer/supplier ?

Kevin

Last edited:

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Dana.....I've read that article and it's pretty informative.
To be honest though...with the enormity of this build,those fairing are something that I would rather purchase instead of spending time & money fabricating.
I'm having to weigh time against money on several things at this point......

Kevin

Pops

Log Member
Hot wire foam to the streamline shape, epoxy to round strut, and cut fabric to 2" wide strips or use leftover pinking tape and glue (Tite-Bond) and wrap the tube and foam shape with a little overlap and smooth and paint. If you want to spend more money use epoxy resin and light fiberglass cloth and a mixture of micro-balloons and resin for a filler, sand and paint. The foam and pinking tape and glue worked good on my friends Mini-Max. Gained 7 mph in cruise powered by a 1/2 VW. Still good after over a thousand hours of flying.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Hey Kevin, are you looking for something as simple as Mike Arnold's strut fairing?

Mcmark

I’ve got some pieces of the uflyit on the Cuby. Instead of building a new gear cabane, I used the streamline fairing. It has been very effective.