Scott Ol' Ironsides in Carbon

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by stanislavz, Dec 3, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 10, 2019 #81

Pops

Pops

Pops

Some of those old Lincoln welders were great machines. In my shop I have an old 250 Miller Dial-A-Arc for stick and tig.

2. Dec 10, 2019 #82

Pops

Pops

Pops

After I get the JMR flying, plan on making some carbon fiber flat sheets for new boot cowl, new lighter weight doors. The doors now are steel tubing covered with aluminum . Maybe a new carbon instrument panel, etc. Next winter projects. Then maybe a new carbon cowling.

3. Dec 13, 2019 #83

litespeed

litespeed

litespeed

Hey Pops,

Do you mean to just replace the door skin or are you making a integrated frame for the panel as well?

Just wondering what you will actually do and what weight do you expect?

I have done flats skins just using large glass table and waxed. Easy dead flat skins, not bagged but just peel ply for reduction in excess resin and a nice bondable back surface. for the weight conscious just add vacuum bagging.

Pops and stanislavz like this.
  4. Dec 13, 2019 #84

Pops

Pops

Pops

Integrated frame for the doors. Just flat sheets to replace the flat aluminum sheets for the boot cowl pieces. The biggest weight saving will be in the doors. At the present time each door weighs 5 lbs without plexiglass. For the flat sheet cowl parts, just vacuum bag over a glass plate.
    I'm starting out with an empty weight of 680 lbs for the JMR. Want a base line in weight and drag. The building is almost over with and in the middle of the paper work. So not to have withdraw symptoms, I will need something to do, so plan on reducing weight and drag as much as possible one item at a time. Strut fairings, landing gear fairing, maybe wheel pants, etc. Need to reduce weight for the weight added in reducing drag in the fairings.
    If I make a new Carbon Fiber Cowl , that will be my largest weight saving. The present FG cowl is heaver than I like. But I need the present weight because the W&B is just here I want it. So maybe a CF cowl and add a light weight started to the engine. I want non-electric, but I have a small battery to power the handheld radio and oil temp gauge and a gps. I could then use a starter for starting the engine at home with a outside power port and hand prop anywhere else.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  5. Dec 13, 2019 #85

litespeed

litespeed

litespeed

Sounds like a good plan.

But if you have a starter and a battery already, why not add just a pound or two extra in light battery to give a start in flight if needed?

stanislavz likes this.
  6. Dec 13, 2019 #86

Pops

Pops

Pops

Yes, I thought about that. The only thing I will not do is have an engine driven battery charging system. Thinking about solar panels under the windshield. My hanger and my house when the unreliable grid is down , is on solar.

7. Dec 14, 2019 #87

stanislavz

stanislavz

stanislavz

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Just an good liion jump starter will solve that nicely.

8. Dec 27, 2019 #88

wanttobuild

wanttobuild

wanttobuild

This builder does not know how to build

9. Dec 27, 2019 #89

stanislavz

stanislavz

stanislavz

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Absolutely.