• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Retractable LG Design?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFAdrenaline

For those who haven't see my other thread Another concept to pick apart... this is for that aircraft but since it will deal with its own unique set of problems, challanges and solutions I figured I'd start an independent thread.

For my aircraft, with a GTOW of approx 1700 lbs, I would like to incorporate retractable landing gear into my design. As of right now my plan is simply to use linear electric actuators to hold the gear up and have the gear 'spring loaded' for the down and locked position. In the event of a power failure you'd have automatic gear extension and would eliminate the complexity of adding a hydraulic system.

First off, does designing my own retracts seam incredibly unreasonable from a design or safety standpoint? Obviously I'd have to design for impact and side loads as well as aerodynamic loads. (I'm assuming that the gear door linkages are the limiting factor for maximum gear down speeds in flight).

If this is not an unreasonable project to undertake, is anyone aware of a good reference for this landing gear design? i know most large jets use magnesium for their landing gear but i would expect that i would have to make it out of aluminum for construction costs and that the components would be made on a lathe or mill.

As always any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Back