• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Rethinking the master switch / key ignition setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviast

Hi all,

I'm sure the current setup, with regards to master switch and keyed ignition, came about after much thought and lessons learned but I'm young(ish) and ignorant of all that so I'm going to propose throwing it out.
Please poke holes in my idea! I've always thought the usual ignition switch wasn't quite right:
ignition_switch.jpg

During the run-up checks you go through "L" to check the right magneto. It just bugs me. OK I hear you: it's just a minor flaw which allows the ignition to be kept simple.
At the same time, I've always thought that the master switch should have some type of protection to prevent any old person turning it on and flattening the battery.
The key should be on the master switch, not on the ignition!

How, then, to replace the keyed ignition?

With a simple keyed master switch and two switches:
  1. A spring return toggle switch for the starter motor; and
  2. A self-centering 3-position toggle or rocker switch installed horizontally so that pushing it left and right grounds the right and left magnetos, respectively.
PROS:
  • You don't have to go through "L" to check the right magneto.
CONS:
  • I've added complexity and weight by replacing two components (master switch & keyed ignition) with three components (keyed master switch, ignition, and magneto selector)
Since the starter won't work without the keyed ignition being "on" the key is still required to start the engine.

What am I missing? Why isn't this the way it's done? What are your thoughts?

Back