• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Rear Gunner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GESchwarz

A big draw back for the tandem seat, low wing is that the guy in back gets a poor view looking down because he is about even with the trailing edge. To see down, you have to look over your shoulder which is straining. So, I've been thinking. How about putting the rear seat on a swivel, so he'd be facing aft during cruise and would therefore have a fantastic view of the ground.

The harnesses would all be attached to the seat and seat back. For landing, you'd face fwd and have the seatback lock into position. I think I have just enough width for the knees to clear during rotation.

If I position the rotation axis on the occupant's CG I'd have no problem with CG shift. Of course this feature may add a few pounds, but look at the benifit. Suddenly the guy in back has the best seat in the house. Although I think the best view I've ever seen is what the TBM Avenger belly gunner sees looking forward when the torpedo bay doors open.

So, I'm soliciting comments and concerns regarding a swivel seat in back.

Back