Raptor Composite Aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Moderator Note: The thread had drifted off into a dozen or more posts about COVID-19, which I deleted. Everyone who had a post deleted should have received a notification about that. Might have been a couple that slipped through the cracks.

While we give this thread more latitude than most, let's please keep it at least nominally about the Raptor project. Thanks.

TFF

You got a generous flight area. A friend with his RV got the standard minimum and he felt like he was on a racetrack for 40 hours.

Pops

Log Member
Friend of mine built a Lancair -4 with the Cont- 550 and got about a 100 mile radius . Even small for that. I never did get a ride in it. My daughter did , I guess girls comes first. He sold it, said he kept thinking about an engine out over the WV steep hills and hollows. There are 24 airplanes in this state that has never been found.
He owned a share in the 1946 Luscombe that her son owned at 16 years old. He flew the Luscombe more than the 4.

dog

add moellet to the banned list like politics and religion
plus there are now operational "man carrying drones" to be contreversial
I return you to the regular scheduled disrapter

BJC

HBA Supporter
Question for Marc Z with a C:

Are you still involved in the Raptor project, and do you agree with Peter’s comment in the latest video, “...it’s ready to go.”

Thanks,

BJC

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah
Are you still involved in the Raptor project...
My official involvement ended when I provided Peter, Elliot and Justin with my examination report on the aircraft condition and recommendations of mitigation tasks back in mid to late December.

At this point, I don't know any more about the project other than what I see in the videos, and what else (little) I glean from discussions with Justin at irregular intervals.

and do you agree with Peter’s comment in the latest video, “...it’s ready to go.”
As I've mentioned previously, I provided Peter with a list of 23 safety items that needed to be mitigated/corrected prior to MY being able to "sign off", albeit unofficially, on the aircraft's readiness for a first flight. Many of those 23 items were relatively simple to mitigate, and I'm pretty sure that the vast majority have been completed. Some were substantially more difficult - aileron play, elevator mass balancing, door opening/locking, etc. Some of those have probably been reasonably addressed as well.

I would expect, if I was asked to return for a 2nd examination of the plane, that there would still be a few safety related items that I would want addressed further, but this is just a guess, since we do not get 100% information from the videos, nor have I seen an action item report on all of the 23 items with explanations for all mitigations completed.

So the short answer is that it might be possible to convince me that "it's ready to go", were the appropriate information presented, but without that, I most certainly would not commit to it being "ready to go".

BillDavis

From the latest video it looks like Justin and Elliot are scheduled to arrive for possible first flight on the first week of June. Should be interesting!

Bill

cheapracer

Log Member
Watching a few minutes, as much as I could stand, I am under the impression he thinks they are going to arrive, fly it immediately, and then everybody will then sit around a campfire singing 'Kumbaya' ......

BJC

HBA Supporter
It is entirely possible that it will fly, with the handling characteristics of canard with a high wing loading.

The interesting parts to me will be the sorting out of the engine package, the aerodynamics of the wings and fuselage, and, if they stick with it, the pressurization system and pressure shell integrity.

If they get that far, then the challenge will be to achieve the claimed / promised / projected performance.

Before kit production, a serious weight reduction program will be appropriate.

But, I predict that it will fly, and be widely heralded as the next great thing in aircraft.

BJC

Last edited:

TarDevil

It will fly. The percentages are with Justin, he'll make it back to CA just fine.

Listening to Peter talk about flying off the hours is when I felt the chill.

The anticipation was "fly" then design revision, then produce or fold with not much thought to in between ( at least, not me). The cold shock is that it will fly just well enough for Peter spend time in that machine.

I so hope he doesn't get hurt... or worse.