Ragwing RW1 Ultra Piet

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cdlwingnut

Well-Known Member
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Joined
May 25, 2015
Messages
520
Location
Iowa
been a while since I've posted. I'ts been a busy fall and haven't spent as much time on the little piet as I would have liked.
I have done a lot of small detail type stuff and have been working on covering. The leading edge felt was put on the center section today and anti chafeing tapes put on so it is ready for fabric. I also got in the needles I will need for rib stitching.
20201113_135926_resized_1.jpg
 

cdlwingnut

Well-Known Member
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Joined
May 25, 2015
Messages
520
Location
Iowa
It was time to flip the wing over and do the rib stitching on the bottom. I had to use a curved needle on every other rib due to the way the wing was braced so couldn't get a long needle all the way through the wing. I got the ribs stitched and some of the tapes on. One wing very close to being ready for paint.
20210311_155908_resized.jpg20210311_155900_resized.jpg20210312_150328_resized_1.jpg
 

cdlwingnut

Well-Known Member
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Joined
May 25, 2015
Messages
520
Location
Iowa
You've probably wondered why the wheels were off the last few photos. I decided the axle was a bit too short and that the brake drums would end up cutting the bungee cords. So I ordered a longer tube to add a few inches to each side. Not only will this give me more clearance for the brake drums but probably give a little bit better ground handling. I also got a few little odds and ends done as well.
20210318_135532_resized.jpg
 

cdlwingnut

Well-Known Member
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Joined
May 25, 2015
Messages
520
Location
Iowa
getting too low on the echo bond glue to start the top fabric of the right wing. So while waiting for an order of it I made a trip to sherwin williams for some paint. After testing it on some scrap fabric I felt brave enough to brush a coat on the vertical fin. I plan to brush the first coat on to get it into the fabric then spray the second and if needed the third coat on.
20210325_150316_resized.jpg
 

cdlwingnut

Well-Known Member
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Joined
May 25, 2015
Messages
520
Location
Iowa
I did a little bit more wet sanding on the elevators one has two coats of primer now and is ready for some color the other only has one coat on it.
The echobond came in as well so I worked late and got the fabric glued onto the top of the right wing. A few passes of the iron and it will be ready for rib stitching and tapes.
20210330_172139_resized_2.jpg
 
Top