Ragwing RW1 Ultra Piet

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

John wadman

Log Member
sweet! i really wish I had made stick built ribs for my RW6. Maybe I'll build another set of wings for it once it's flying. I see that Scott Cassler billed my credit card for half of the engine so that means he's building the engine now. Won't be long and that plane will be in the air and I'll have room to getvreal serious about the RW19/20.

Tench745

I'm curious about the "All parts beyond this point are not airworthy" notation on the floor. What's the story with that?

John wadman

Log Member
oh man, I just ordered my Azusa 4 1/2" drum brakes and the drum but I ordered the aluminum back brake hub. If I had ordered the steel back model I suppose I could have welded it to the gear leg/axle. But this way if anything goes wrong with it I can just unbolt it and replace it. However, the aluminum weight savings is offset by the steel flange that gets welded to the gear leg/axle to mount it to. I like it though (your setup). very simple and yet. . . elegant!

cdlwingnut

HBA Supporter
Log Member
no picture worthy progress, but I have been working on getting a coat of varnish on the wings. I've gotten one coat on about 3/4 of one wing. Lots of little nooks and places to get a brush into.

cdlwingnut

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I haven't made much progress to report lately. Work and life getting in the way of building. I did get to get a little work done today. I cut the slots in the horizontal stab. and elevators for the hinges to slide into. I have been putting this off for a while, kind of scared to ruin the parts by goofing up, but they turned out well.
20191108_135550_resized.jpg 20191108_135603_resized.jpg

cdlwingnut

HBA Supporter
Log Member
sorry about the lack of updates, with work and the sickness going though the house not much time has been available to work on the little piet. I have managed to get the hinges installed in the elevators and gotten the control horns for the rudder and elevators put in. And as always lots of varnishing
20191209_150605_resized.jpg 20191209_150618_resized.jpg