Discussion in 'Member Project Logs' started by cdlwingnut, Feb 28, 2017.
The rib jig is built and ready for when the spruce arrives.
getting antsy to get this started
Checking out the local lumber yards i found some Douglas Fir flooring boards I picked out two good boards 12ft long giving me 6 12 foot pieces of 3/4x3/4 the 4 nicest will be my longerons though all 5 of the 6 came out very nice and the 6th is good but for two small knots so that one will be cut for the cross members.
started drawing out the fuselage after leveling the build table
some progress made in the last week
the rib jig is ready for the 1/4 by 1/4 to arrive
I've nearly completed the fuselage jig, the horizontal and vertical members of 3/4 by 3/4 are cut and fit, now to work up the courage to cut and fit the angled pieces.
mixed up some T-88 and glued some of the fuselage side together, I'm hoping my glue joints look good cured out in the morning.
a little update, i have one side of the fuselage glued up and waiting for plywood and two ribs completed, 20 more ribs to go, still just a start but enjoying it so far
up to 7 ribs done, I enjoy rib building, not so much staple pulling
not much work got done on the airplane last week but got back to it today, side 1 of the fuselage is out of the jig and side 2 is mostly laid up in the jig.
still waiting on more capstrips to build more ribs.
a couple of pictures
finished gluing the second side of the fuselage. side two too a lot less time than side one, i suppose having the jig already built this time helped.
hopefully more rib stock shows up soon so i can go back to work and build some more ribs,
more sticks have arrived. I have been cutting gussets while waiting. Let rib production resume
Rib number 11 is built, half way done with the ribs half to go
some progress pictures so far,
Just an update to say I haven't quit. I haven't been building as much as the good weather means more flying and therefore more money to buy more materials to build with.
have more ribs done, almost at the end of the rib building stage.
Rib number 22 is in the jig with the epoxy drying. All ribs will be done with this one
the others are stacked up and ready.
next I think I will work on the tail feathers
it's been a busy month, not much time or extra money for the Ragwing, but I have been sanding the ribs down so all the joints and gussets are smooth on the edges, a little more sanding then hopefully time to pick up some wood for tail feathers
managed to sneak off to the shop a little in the last few days, I pulled the second side of the fuselage out of the jig and drew up the fin and rudder, I cut and laid out the fin and rudder and they are ready for glue. I also did a good cleaning of the work area.
New progress, the fin and rudder are glued, the fin is gusseted, I may have jumped the gun a little since the leading and top edge weren't rounded yet, oh well, I took up the jig and laid out new paper then drew the horizontal stab. After that a trip to the lumber yard for some more wood.
been doing a little work here and there on my plane, snuck off to the shop and did some plywood on a rib and the gussets to one side of my horizontal stab.
finished my tail feathers today
Separate names with a comma.