Quantcast

Ragwing RW1 Ultra Piet

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cdlwingnut

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The rib jig is built and ready for when the spruce arrives.
getting antsy to get this started

cdlwingnut

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Checking out the local lumber yards i found some Douglas Fir flooring boards I picked out two good boards 12ft long giving me 6 12 foot pieces of 3/4x3/4 the 4 nicest will be my longerons though all 5 of the 6 came out very nice and the 6th is good but for two small knots so that one will be cut for the cross members.

cdlwingnut

HBA Supporter
Log Member
started drawing out the fuselage after leveling the build table

cdlwingnut

HBA Supporter
Log Member
some progress made in the last week
the rib jig is ready for the 1/4 by 1/4 to arrive
I've nearly completed the fuselage jig, the horizontal and vertical members of 3/4 by 3/4 are cut and fit, now to work up the courage to cut and fit the angled pieces.

20170224_144011_resized.jpg20170307_114040_resized.jpg

cdlwingnut

HBA Supporter
Log Member
mixed up some T-88 and glued some of the fuselage side together, I'm hoping my glue joints look good cured out in the morning.

cdlwingnut

HBA Supporter
Log Member
not much work got done on the airplane last week but got back to it today, side 1 of the fuselage is out of the jig and side 2 is mostly laid up in the jig.
still waiting on more capstrips to build more ribs.

cdlwingnut

HBA Supporter
Log Member
finished gluing the second side of the fuselage. side two too a lot less time than side one, i suppose having the jig already built this time helped.
hopefully more rib stock shows up soon so i can go back to work and build some more ribs,

cdlwingnut

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Just an update to say I haven't quit. I haven't been building as much as the good weather means more flying and therefore more money to buy more materials to build with.
have more ribs done, almost at the end of the rib building stage.

cdlwingnut

HBA Supporter
Log Member
managed to sneak off to the shop a little in the last few days, I pulled the second side of the fuselage out of the jig and drew up the fin and rudder, I cut and laid out the fin and rudder and they are ready for glue. I also did a good cleaning of the work area.

245cl fusesides.jpg245cl ribs.jpg245cl fin.jpg245cl rudder.jpg245finrudder.jpg

cdlwingnut

HBA Supporter
Log Member
New progress, the fin and rudder are glued, the fin is gusseted, I may have jumped the gun a little since the leading and top edge weren't rounded yet, oh well, I took up the jig and laid out new paper then drew the horizontal stab. After that a trip to the lumber yard for some more wood.