• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Quick build options: Square Tubes or Bent Sheets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aerowerx

I have been trying to finalize my configuration, and am starting to think about construction methods so I can do the load/stress analysis. I also need to get a better idea of the final weight.

Which would be "better" (whatever that means) for a cabin/empenage structure? 1)Square aluminum tube (or angles) covered with aluminum sheet, or 2)form trusses/channels out of bent sheet with appropriate riveting---then cover with aluminum sheet.

I'm talking about reducing construction time on an LSA size two seater.

I think, for #2, with clever design some of the trusses/channels could be bent at the edges of the sheets. Square tube is already 'bent', but may be heavier. Remember ounces make pounds:gig:.

I have seen both methods used in various other aircraft, although not necessarily LSA approved.

I guess what I am asking: What are the pros and cons of each method? Is there some overwhelming factor that would make one more desireable than the other?

Or is the answer, like with many things: "it depends"?

Back