Prosthetic Wings

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

WonderousMountain

Agreed,

the prone position makes no sense for landing, unless the plan is to slide with skids along some predetermined flat strip.

The frigate bird is still in development as far as I know.

Jedi, Dan, where do you want to setup group communique at?

LuPi

WonderousMountain

How can we make this more fun?

It seems I get less pleasant as fewer people do less; but when people do more, I get happy or at least chattery.

These projects I'm on pretty much by myself get self absorbed and well, incomplete. If I'm just asking people to do work, then who wants that; even if we like the goal.

Suggestions,
and
Requests.

Tiger Tim

Have you done even the most basic weight and balance estimate? Even without those heavy robo-legs I think you'll find our pilot sticks out much further in front of the wing than you expect.

WonderousMountain

Yes, there are some simple, and imperfect solutions.

I was very much hoping someone had that one figured out for me, but it appears not so fortunate.

LuPi

Starman

I was very much hoping someone had that one figured out for me, but it appears not so fortunate.
Hey what do you know, I got it figured out for you. I've been playing around with different folding concepts for something like this for a couple of years now on and off

Most of my efforts have two fold joints on each side at what would correspond to the elbow and the wrist of a bird wing, with a fixed shoulder. This way when the wings were folded and the person was standing up it would look like angel wings, a big selling point! = )

Joints fold forward and back, not up and down, and could possibly offer maneuvering capability although that could be dangerous if a person wasn't strong enough and got going too fast.

Attachments

Last edited:

Starman

The red line represents CG and the dotted line on the wing represents the control surface hinge. The spars are fiberglass D cells with the rest being flexible fabric, each wing has one or two battens or ribs. Elevon action is provided by hinges near the wingtip and on the rib.

So after you jump out of an airplane or off a cliff, pull a lever, and the wings snap open with spring/cable action and lock. I would use control surfaces and weight shift at first :) I weigh 160 so with a 300 gross it allows for a lot of structure and 3 lb/sq ft wing load. The main hinges can be made from rod ends and bolts.

WonderousMountain

Aside from the fact that I don't get it,

Looks wonderful. :nervous:

Started a group here of the same title,

It's moderated, so request an invite and I'll add those interested. We only want to let the crazies in!

LuPi

WonderousMountain

Ah, yes, that's much better.

I'm not a supporter of the rag-wing approach, but the fold and mid section looks like a very good strategy.

Proportions look great.

LuPi

bmcj

HBA Supporter
I'm not quite sure what the ultimate goal is. I'm sure that we will eventually have the technology (motors, batteries, materials, and augmented stability/operation) to make a working, flapping set of wings (assuming we can even remotely learn the techniques of birds and commit it to our muscle memory - even with the augmented systems).

At present, I think the best you might be able to do is a foldout glider, but they already have something like that in the PHASST Glider.

WonderousMountain

The goal is to create a more responsive agile glider with natural positioning and bio-mimicry controls.

I'm sure there are a lot of people perfectly content to sit and fly. More power to them!

LuPi

Starman

I assumed we were talking about something with ultralight or slower speeds but if landing speed is not a problem then a stiff wing glider, like a high performance sailplane, with morphing wings, can be had.

Starman

That group only allows uploading images from the internet and not from my computer so I'll put this cartoon here for now.

Is this more like what you had in mind? On something like this the outer wingtip can swing back, using push/pull arm power, to reduce span and lift on that side, or both sides together. I envision this with the rear wing attached to the person's boots so they can use waist, knee, and ankle movement for pitch and yaw control, which would be very instinctive and uses strong muscles. You could also use weight shift inside the harness to do most mild maneuvers, How would you land, with a parachute?

This is showing a six foot person and a twenty foot span. 22 ft wing area with a gross of 300lb gives 13 lb/ft loading. What kind of stall speed would that give you?

Attachments

WonderousMountain

I think we ought to consider landing on a moving platform, to reduce relative ground-speed.

LuPi

My idea for a tail was to have it extend back say 6 feet with half diamond being controlled by the legs.

I know the snowboard community would be comfortable, but I am not accustomed to having my legs connected.

WonderousMountain

I'm not worried about spies, just need a little focus group.

Maybe that's easier than jumping off a cliff every time.

Can we still land on a train? That would be fun.

LuPi