• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Passengers in high vs low wing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busting_bravo

So I just took my sister, who has flown with me before in C-172's, up in the Grumman Cheetah that I'm a partner on. She felt claustrophobic and cramped, and was rather tense the entire time. She has never felt like that before - and she's flown with me quite a few times. Now, interestingly enough, my fiancee was also really nervous in it the first time we went up, and still doesn't really like it as much as high wings. I don't think the Cheetah is any tighter than the 172 in the cockpit - apparently the 172 is 39.5" wide vs the Cheetah at 41".

For those who have flown passengers in both, have you noticed any difference in passenger reactions to the high/low wing thing? The other issue could be the sliding canopy that the cheetah has, as opposed to doors....

Ultimately, when I get around to designing my own plane in 5-10 years, I'd like passenger experience to be an integral part of it. I know you can't design for everyone, but I can try to design for the majority.

Back