Quantcast

OMG! LOOK AT THIS!!! DROOL!!!!! Carbon fiber 70% Mustang...

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Taiser

All carbon fiber with a Rotax and they have gone out of their way for realism! Out of my pricerange though... :depressed

Video: FK's Incredible P-51 Mustang LSA

They also have some interesting designs on their website... Funny I never heard of them before. Anyone know more about this company?

cheapracer

Log Member
Not sure about this plane, maybe edging on a little to over the top and distant from what I imagine a replica Mustang should look, feel and smell like.

FWIW - I can make all CF planes bloody cheap and was intending to but a couple of people around here I respect and trust say it's not a good choice.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Not a fan of "engineered flaws" i.e. fake rivets and gun blisters ruining what could be a perfect surface finish, or subwoofers and smoke bombs to make a Rotax act like a Merlin...

I guess it appeals to those who like really big scale model airplanes - where performance is secondary to appearance.

I appreciate the product, but it is definitely not my cup of tea.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
FK has been around for a while and has made some nice planes. I would not hesitate to purchase their product if they had something I needed. As mentioned in the video the US LSA version has issues and the product is a gimic in several respects. I do not think they can hold the priceline unless much of what is shown is listed as an option (price increaser). I would rather have a Twister. I have seen much nicer Mustang experimental scale kits in the US but not at that price.

PTAirco

One could argue all scaled down replicas are gimmicks. I personally can't quite see the appeal of pretending to be doing 400mph while buzzing along at 100. Even in my model building days, I never liked the semi-scale or stand-off scale models; if you're going to do, do it right.

But, aviation has a lot of different facets and if this appeals to you, it has to be one of the best efforts in this field. Certainly better than the popular Loehle 51 with its stringers showing like a Guillows rubber band powered model airplane.

The sound system thing? Silly, in my opinion. And as an LSA, flying around with the gear permanently down? Yawn....

Holtzy3

meh they shouldnt have restricted it to lsa they should have just gone full out

cheapracer

Log Member
meh they shouldnt have restricted it to lsa they should have just gone full out
Yeah agree, as a marketing exercise you could probably push full size powered by Chev LS1 out at closer to 250 - 300K, sell less, more profit and less headaches.

But some people have an idea to fill a certain segment they feel is the right one so good luck to them.

autoreply

As far as replica's (models) go, this one is truly brilliant. With your nose pressed against the skin it still looks like metal. Look, feel and sound is about as real as it gets. Mostly honeycomb, so in terms of repairs that might be a tad more challenging as foam core.

E

ekimneirbo

I think its a nice exercise in what can be accomplished and maybe even applied to STOL airplanes. I can more easily envision the benefits to light weight in the low and slow category. The question in my mind with this Mustang is whether the airfoil is capable of meeting the minimum speed requirements before stalling. This would seem to be exactly what the FAA doesn't want in Light Sport.....something that doesn't have a gentle stall with warning at a slow speed. Since I haven't seen the actual specs for the airplane, maybe it does better than what I think, but I just don't think the design of fighter planes will allow this to happen.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
I like the look from these rivet dimples. The usual smoothly faired composite surface must be perfectly molded. If it isn't perfectly molded, the imperfect reflections will look terrible to the eye.
A surface with rivets doesn't offend the eye in this respect and is much easier to hand craft and maintain, repair etc.

autoreply

I like the look from these rivet dimples. The usual smoothly faired composite surface must be perfectly molded. If it isn't perfectly molded, the imperfect reflections will look terrible to the eye.
A surface with rivets doesn't offend the eye in this respect and is much easier to hand craft and maintain, repair etc.
While that's certainly true, this one was absolutely perfect in it's metal look and finish. I wouldn't be surprised if they've spent more effort on it as the typical sailplane mirror-finish takes. Not sure if a less perfect finish wouldn't quickly look fake?

billyvray

With all the detail put into the appearance, they could have worked on running a bigger prop. It s one thing that totally ruins scale appearance whether in full size or models.

billyvray

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
While that's certainly true, this one was absolutely perfect in it's metal look and finish. I wouldn't be surprised if they've spent more effort on it as the typical sailplane mirror-finish takes. Not sure if a less perfect finish wouldn't quickly look fake?
If they want true scale look, they should bond aluminum foil to the surface instead of glossy paint.

Tiger Tim

Let me begin by saying I'll never own one of these. I think it's a neat idea but for the money (which I don't have anyways) there is probably a hundred other planes I'd pick first. Having said that, I suspect for something so expensive they've done a little market research first, even if it was just by looking at what else is selling. I see this thing as the next evolution of the Titan Mustang concept and I think if they can market them the same way in North America they should do alright.

-Tim

cheapracer

Log Member
I suspect for something so expensive they've done a little market research first, even if it was just by looking at what else is selling.
I would think that I wouldn't enter into it unless I had at least 2 or 3 firm orders to fill, bit of a risk otherwise but then I am not familiar with their company structure.

32fordboy

Log Member
Well, I don't know much about composite vs metal, but if they can muster performance similar to the Titan T-51, I could see this being a hot seller (compared to the Titan). Looks like a little P-51, which doesn't seem easily done. I never really cared for the looks of the Titan T-51 (personal opinion, I know they are great-flying planes) and feel this new one is really well done from an aesthetic standpoint. Of course, flight tests can turn everything around...for now, I love it!