Old timer pranks / shop jokes

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by BAILEIGH INC, Nov 6, 2009.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 13, 2009 #21

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Navy..

Send the new guy at to the bow with a 20ft hook pole and tell him to wait for the GU-11 to drop the mail bouy...

2. Nov 14, 2009 #22

scuba72

scuba72

scuba72

Some nice ones, but while working on C-130's we used to get the new guys to do an echo check of the intakes. Send him up the ladder to crawl in the intake (tight fit, but it can be done) Tell him to yell as loud as he could while you took the ladder back to the exhaust to listen for echos. Of course all you did was move the ladder and go get all your buddies to stand and laugh at the guy yelling in the intake.

I already knew about the yard of flightline and prop wash doings when I joined. I was of course sent on the wild chase I think my 2nd day on the line. I went straight to the club and returned a few hours later a little inebriated saying I couldn't find it.

3. Nov 14, 2009 #23

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Yard of flightline :)

We had 'gigline'.. You know, we actually had a guy come back with 50yds of 'Line, Caption's Gig'.. Close enough :)

4. Nov 15, 2009 #24

steve-lima

steve-lima

steve-lima

Hasn't anyone sent some unexpecting newbee to get a pad eye puller ? For those who do not know what a pad eye is, it's the "D" rings in the flight line that you tie jets down to. Another thing we use to do in the Navy was to get a new mechanic out to test cell. We would run the engines there to adjust them. On the front of the engines we wouldd put a very large screen on the front of the engines to keep anything from getting sucked in to the motors. While running the engines we would tell the new guy that we needed a temperature reading of the incoming air. To get the correct temp you need to be as close as possible to the screen. Once the newbee was close enough the throttle would go up and the incoming air would stick him to the intake screen until all other tests were proformed. 15 to 20 minutes.

5. Dec 3, 2009 #25

vortilon

vortilon

vortilon

I watched a prank one day while working in the old World Airways hanger. A new structures worker was on the job and had her air hose plugged into the pig where there were many hoses attached. During break an old timer unplugged her hose and inserted a MS20470 AD-4 with a notch filed in the head to allow just a little air to pass. This was inserted at the pig end of the hose. After break we watched as she started her die grinder that would wiz to life and then slow to a crawl, she then tried a drill, then her angle drill. Finally the old timer asked her what the problem was and she showed him. He asked her if she pre-charged her airhose sceptically replying no he said he would show her. They both walked over to the pig and the old timer unplugged her hose sending the rivet unnoticeably into outer space, he then put the hose to his mouth and blew into and quickly plugging it back in. Her tools worked great after that and we all had a good laugh watching her pre-charging her air hose for a day or two.

6. Dec 17, 2009 #26

n427c

n427c

n427c

I was a loadmaster on C-141s back in the '70's and one of our favorite tricks on "Third Lieutenants" (AF Academy students) was to have them take periodic air samples from the gaspers on the flight deck. These were taken in barf bags and were carefully placed in an old flight lunch box. The 3rd louie was then instructed to deliver the box to Flight Operations, usually at Clark.

Another favorite, usually played on an obnoxious officer who expected the enlisted flight crew to carry his bags was to place a couple of 25,000 pound tie-down chains in his bag and leave it sitting on the ramp as the crew bus pulled away. They would usually run to get the bag and hit the handle running. Really came to a short stop. In most cases they were very careful to get their own bags for the remainder of the trip.

Jim

7. Dec 30, 2009 #27

eric_marsh

eric_marsh

eric_marsh

I worked in a machine shop many years ago where a Model T coil was floating around for a while. It was necessary to touch things before grabbing ahold of them to make sure they weren't hot. I remember one tool box that had arcs jumping from it.

8. Dec 30, 2009 #28

Offcenter

Offcenter

Offcenter

A friend of mine used to work in an auto dealership. He said a favorite prank was to run a fine wire from a spark plug cap of the car you were working on to the toolbox of the guy in the next bay. Everybody got a charge out of that. :roll:

9. Dec 30, 2009 #29

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

OK... another:

I would sometimes take a long piece of sewing thread (impossible to see from more than a couple feet away) and loop it around the stall warning vane and over the wing. When my friends would fire up to go flying, I would stand behind the plane and intermittently tug on the thread to sound the stall horn. They would be baffled by the horn sounding on the ground and only realized it was a prank when the horn finally played "Shave and a haircut, 6 bits".

10. Dec 30, 2009 #30

skeeter_ca

skeeter_ca

skeeter_ca

I guess that's one way to let them know they did not do a proper preflight check.

skeeter

11. Dec 30, 2009 #31

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator

I guess I'll add another non-aviation prank, of which I'm particularly proud.

I used to work at a prepress shop on the second shift (6pm to whenever...), and April 1st was upon us. Macs have been pretty much the standard computer in the graphics industry, and Mac owners/operators are usually pretty darned zealous about their 'chosen' computer. Don't you dare give them a PC... Which sets us up for our prank.

A friend on the shift and I hacked all the Macs to show the Windows splash screen on startup. Both splash screens are just images, so if you know where to look in the OS, you can replace them rather easily, at least at the time (MacOS 6, Windows 95). We also took a screen grab of a Windows desktop cluttered with typical folder icons and such, and set it up as the desktop image on the Mac workstations.

Just before third shift came in at about 1am, sleepy and groggy, we turned off all the computers. Sat back with a couple of magazines and when they came in, told them, "Oh, it was a slow shift. The IT guys did some work on the computers and we mostly just hung out."

They started firing up the workstations and as my friend and I walked away, the cries of "WHAT THE FU.. !!!!????!?!?" had us laughing all the way out to our cars. ;)

The boss called us in the next day and said, "Don't do that again. But it was pretty good; those guys were going on for hours..." :)

12. Dec 30, 2009 #32

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Along the same lines, add a program to the PC that hides the icons and then add a picture of the normal desktop (icons and all or maybe a spreadsheet) and place it as the backgound (wallpaper) image. See how many times they restart their computer before they realize they are looking at a picture of their desktop instead of a frozen system.

13. Dec 31, 2009 #33

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator

Heh. Yeah, I've seen that one, too. Up through XP, you can auto-hide the taskbar, and if the desktop screen-grab image includes the taskbar... They keep clicking on the image and not the real thing 'retracted' underneath. :)

14. Jan 7, 2010 #34

vortilon

vortilon

vortilon

My computer guru Annette has built me several computers for my shop and home. She installs the 2001 Space Oddessy Hal computer voice in windows. If you are making a mistake it says " I'm sorry Dave I cannot allow you to do that" and when shutting down it sings Daisy :gig:

15. Apr 7, 2010 #35

GESchwarz

GESchwarz

GESchwarz

In my early days I was a metal fitter working with a welder. One day I decided to pull a trick on him. The aluminum weld rod was exactly the same diameter as the tungsten electrode. I took a piece of aluminum rod and ground the two ends to the same pointed shape as the electrode and then I replaced the tungsten electrode with the aluminum counterfeit.

I laughed my head off when he came back and tried to weld with that thing. Of course it instantly vaporized and he threw his helmet back to see what the heck happened.

16. Apr 7, 2010 #36

lr27

lr27

lr27

That could have been a very expensive prank if someone had a skinny metal object in their pocket and it fell out. (Or a frozen chicken, I suppose.) Somewhere on the web, there's a video of a guy getting sucked into a jet engine intake for real. He got jammed or grabbed onto something, but some of his clothing ruined the engine and they shut it down before he hit the compressor blades.

----------------
    The acetylene thing is far more impressive if you use exactly the right mix. I had done it with straight acetylene and some sonotube (acetylene is heavier than air, as I recall) and using a 6 foot long stick with a flaming paper towel to light it. The torch's owner saw this and had to do it with the oxy mix. If it hadn't been July 4th, I'm sure we would have been arrested.

Another big bang is to put a tire valve into a soda bottle's cap and pump it up until it blows. At the time, the two liter bottle held 140 lbs. Landlord upstairs in about 5 seconds.

A prank which I am sort of proud of occurred when I was maybe 10 or 12. I still have trouble believing I had the nerve. My dad had a bunch of people over from work. One of them was getting pretty loud. He used up his beer and I offered to dispose of the can and bring him a new one. I just put in water. He did a pretty good double take, and I think he even took my point without getting mad. Then again, my dad was probably his boss.

A good trick is to take the phone headset and reverse the mike and the speaker. Takes a while to figure it out. I was one of the victims in this case.

One I've heard but which I don't think I'd do to someone is to find a coffee cup that was metallic on the outside. Apparently if you leave one next to a van de Graaff generator, it will get all charged up, like a capacitor. (as a device this would be called a Leyden jar). Anyone drinking the coffee would get a pretty good zap. But I suspect this one might not be very safe. Alternatively, and much safer, you could use it to charge a plaster ceiling and stick a bunch of styrofoam peanuts to it. Half an hour (or whenever) later, it would be raining peanuts. But a gadget like that is almost cheating.

A friend introduced me to this game he had. Every player had a handle, and the object was to be the first to push the button. This was a very slick looking, commercially available game. What he didn't tell me was that if you weren't the winner, you got zapped. Quite a surprise. After that I could always beat him. But I still can't believe that thing is commercially available.

A guy at work had one of those long poles for opening windows. He'd sneak up behind you and give you a little poke. If you jumped, he'd say you hadn't been getting any.

17. Apr 7, 2010 #37

Offcenter

Offcenter

Offcenter

Acetylene...That reminds me....I used to work with a guy...
    When he was a teenager he and some friends would go out in a friend's van with some beer, a box of large plastic trash bags, and a bottle of acetylene. They would blow up the bags with the gas and tie 'em off. A long strip of newspaper held to the bag with scotch tape was the fuse. Light the paper and toss it out the back door of the van and drive like hell. They'd get about a block away before....
    BOOM!!!
    Very shortly they could hear police sirens in the distance. Quickly they'd drive across town and set off another one. More sirens. He said they kept the cops running all over town all night long. Acetylene and a garbage bag left absolutely nothing behind as evidence. :roll:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  18. Apr 8, 2010 #38

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

Didn't knew there was a device called after the place I live :)

As for a (maybe mean) idea: once in a gliding competition you're informally allowed to win by all means possible as long as it doesn't influence safety at all.
    Several tricks that have come by:
    *A fresh fish was thrown under the seat of one my main competitors. After the first 30 miles of competition he landed in a field because he couldn't stand the smell anymore.
    *Tying around 80 meters of red/white tape to his landing gear caused the tape to fall out once the gear was retracted. 250 feet of tape trailing the glider made it a lot easier to spot him so he couldn't run away from us :gig:
    *When our chief-instructor was doing an attempt for a 750 km triangle his relief tube was obstructed (never found out whether it was on purpose). Out of his two options (landing out, or continue) he picked the last one, landing in a "swimming" pool :ponder:
    *What worked great was to open a bottle of Champagne before the last flight and finish about half of it. (We were flying in the middle of the Champagne area) Even the french were astonished by such alcohol-abuse while flying and I guess they never found out that I finished the last part of the bottle of sprite just after landing :gig:

19. Apr 8, 2010 #39

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

We used to do the fill those cheap rubber party balloons with a proper mixture of Oxy and Acetylene. They would make a hell of a bang (lit by a strip of newspaper fuse). Trouble is, my brother found out that you could also ignite the balloons just with the static charge created by handling them. It took quite awhile for his hearing to return to normal when one went off in his hands.

Along the same line, We would mix a 2-to-1 mixture of Hydrogen and Oxygen and blow it through a mixture of water and dishsoap. You could scoop the bubbles off the top and light them in your hand. Would make a loud bang (not as loud as the Oxy/Acet balloons) and produce a quick flash of a fireball.

I didn't know you lived in a jar. :gig:

I like that one... deviously inventive. Remind me never to fly a competition against YOU!

Bruce :)

20. Apr 8, 2010 #40

Mac790

Mac790

Mac790

WOW, seems that everybody like explosives, I had some fun too :), for kind of flying stuff we were using saltpeter (we had a problem with buying it, because every body knew what we are going to use it for) mixed with sugar, and some times gun powder, in primary school father of my school mate was hunter, so access to gun powder was easy:gig: . (I even tried to make some gun powder myself, but I was mixing it too rapidly, and there was a self-ignition:roll:)

But I'm wondering what are those guys using? Seems like some serious stuff, some of them have more luck than brain check out at 1.54, there was a guy under that bridge.
    [video=youtube;miqxJizvmpw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miqxJizvmpw[/video]

Seb

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019