Old timer pranks / shop jokes

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by BAILEIGH INC, Nov 6, 2009.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 6, 2009 #1

BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC

Ever work with an old timer that would play pranks on you?

Mine is my friends Dad in Minnesota. When I was 12 and 13 years old, we always rode dirt bikes and snowmobiles at his house. When we would be in his shop working with his dad, he was always shocking or burning me with things. Puting grease on everything. I think I fell for just about every trick he pulled. I hated him for it, but now its kinda funny looking back on it.

2. Nov 7, 2009 #2

scuba72

scuba72

scuba72

Sounds just like my dad. He had an old telephone crank that he loved to get the kids to hold onto the leads while he gave it a crank. Also things like hurts donuts and who can hit the softest. Funny thing is he was from Minnesota. Dang I miss him.

3. Nov 7, 2009 #3

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Pranks are mostly harmless.
    But some can result in fatal injuries such as pranks involving use of the shop air hose on a surprised victim. My dad warned me about this. Don't try it.

4. Nov 8, 2009 #4

smoore

smoore

smoore

1) fill garbage bag with acetylene

2) put on hearing protection

3) light it.

5. Nov 8, 2009 #5

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

My brother tried that with a balloon (I think there was some oxygen in the mix too). As he stooped to place it where it would be lit, static electricity set it off. He was deaf for nearly a day and a half and lost his eyebrows until they grew back. With the suddeness and "flash-bang" effect, he didn't immediately realize what had happened.

6. Nov 8, 2009 #6

MadRocketScientist

MadRocketScientist

MadRocketScientist

Canterbury, New Zealand, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy.
    That has to be one that can and has been a fatal prank, it should put you in the running for a darwin award:gig:.

Shannon

7. Nov 9, 2009 #7

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

I fell for this one in high school. Somone charged up a condenser from an old 'points' style ignition, pulled it out of the car, and tossed it to me as they came into the room. You can't help but touch both the lead and the body as you catch it. "Shocking".

8. Nov 9, 2009 #8

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Yeah, that's always good for a laugh. We used to do the same thing with the plug-in breadboarding capacitors.

9. Nov 9, 2009 #9

LGM

LGM

LGM

Had an old guy who'd sneak up and stick a lighter under you behind while you were under the hood. Of course you'd jump, bang your head and cuss.
    I thought I'd be clever and seek revenge, snuck up on him and went to do the same thing. Only I ignited the shop rag he had hanging out his back pocket. I pictured it something like a hot foot.
    Only problem, he'd finished rebuilding a carb, and the rag was was soaked in carb cleaner & gas. One "whoosh" later and he was nearly nekkid. Our uniforms were made of polyester knit and his just melted right off his back. Pants and shirt both fell right off him (The sight of whch has scarred me, even to this day) Probably a good thing it fell off though because it kept him from being seriously hurt.
    He never pranked me again after that!

Here's another for ya - ran a wire from a guys spark plug lead inside his car and just between the seat & back. Stuck out just enough. When he tried to start the car, it shocked the heck out of'em. Looking back, I probably should've put it on the coil wire instead of the spak plug lead, cause once the car started he about fried before he could get away from it. (Didn't help this was one of those GM HEI super high output ignitions.)

One last one... another old guy who'd sneak up and pince you with pliers right on the thigh between your legs while you were under the hood. I got revenge on him, although not how I intended.
    I did the same thing, only two things went wrong. One, I used a small pair of vice grip pliers, which of course locked in the closed position. And two, the thing it locked on was NOT his thigh, but something much more personal, sensitive and important to most guys. He's another that never messed with me again.....

OK, I admit, my prank execution leaves a little lacking. luckily, none of the guys was hurt, permanetly.

Take care,
    LGM

10. Nov 9, 2009 #10

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

The jury may still be out... for all you know, they may be co-conspiring on a really great revenge and letting enough time pass that you will never see it coming! :roll:

11. Nov 10, 2009 #11

skeeter_ca

skeeter_ca

skeeter_ca

We glued the receiver down to the bosses phone. I still laugh when i think about him banging the phone against the desk to break the receiver loose as it's ringing. We're all standing outside the window laughing so hard we could not stand still. He almost fired all us for that one.

We used to have those fiberglass white chairs in the office. I put some water in it. Being white you could not see the water in it. I waited for the attendant to come in and sit down as he always did. But no, not this time. A manager from another store just happened to walk in at that time. He sat down in the chair and started to talk to us about something. He was sitting on the edge of the chair for about 5 minutes talking. We were about to explode. Then he set back. you should have seen the look on his face when that water hit is but. Priceless. And yes were running out of that room.

skeeter

12. Nov 10, 2009 #12

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Scotch tape, well-burnished, will hold down the 'off the hook' button of most phones and be virtually invisible in the process. The victim picks up the phone and it just keeps on ringing... ;)

We pulled this on a salesman once at a print shop where I worked early in my career. He was known for 'blowing up' easily. Fortunately, we called him before any of the customers did, but it was great to hear the phone ring in his office. And ring. And ring. Followed by, "What the FU....!!!??!?" :gig:

13. Nov 10, 2009 #13

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Phone tricks:

#1 - We had two wall-mounted phones behind the OD's desk (Officer of the Day), mounted side-by-side with long curly cords for the handsets. It's amazing how baffled one can get if you swap the receivers between the bases the call one of them. He will inevitably answer one, then hang it up when the handset is dead to answer the other phone, only to hang up on the caller each time.

#2 - At Douglas Aircraft, we had engineers' desks set up in pairs, each with their own phone. The phone system had a "ring-back" system that, when activated, would background dial a busy number until it connects, then ring on your handset to let you know the call went through. One day during a lunch break, two of the engineers were sitting at their desks (right next to each other). Engineer "A" was on the phone, so I asked Engineer "B" if I could use his phone. I then called "A's" number, got the busy signal, activated the ring-back feature, and hung up the phone. I then gathered a small group at the back of the room to watch the procedings.

When "A" finished his call and hung up, the ring-back kicked in and his phone began to ring. He answer with the standard spiel "McDonnell-Douglas, C-17 Division". At that point, "B's" phone rang to let him know that the call went through. He answered it with the same spiel. We watched and laughed from the back of the room as "A" and "B" argued with each other about who called who (after the awkward confusion of neither having a point to discuss). It took another while before they realized they were talking to each other (sitting side-by-side), and noticed a bunch of us laughing in the back of the room.

Priceless!

Bruce :)

14. Nov 13, 2009 #14

LArzfromarz

LArzfromarz

LArzfromarz

I used to have lots of fun with new students at A&P school...
    I'm sure some of those skulls full of mush are still looking for the bucket of prop wash or spool of "Flight Line"-oldies but goodies-
    Larz

15. Nov 13, 2009 #15

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

You reminded me of another from years ago. When I was a kid working part time in an electronics and electric motor shop, we had a young lady come in asking for "a bag of yellow electrons". Apparently, her boss was having a bit of fun at her expense. We explained this to her, but went one step further to give her the last laugh.

We went to the store down the street, bought some yellow marbles and placed them in one of our bags, along with a doctored up receipt charging his account for yellow electrons. You would not believe the going price for yellow electrons at that time... you know they are quite rare! :gig:

Bruce :)

16. Nov 13, 2009 #16

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Well, if we're expanding this to other industries...

"Half-tone dots, kid! The dots that make up a printed image? Where'd you learn this trade? Go get me a bag of the black ones. We're almost out over here." (Back in the days when you still used film for plate imaging in printing.)

Also from the same era. "Dang! This film doesn't quite fit the pins on the plating machine. Hey kid, go check with Bob and see if he's got the film stretcher."

You could give a newbie a tour of the entire plant if everyone played along.

17. Nov 13, 2009 #17

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Or another... while in the Air Force, we doctored up an official looking letter to one of the people we worked with. It said that he was being investigated on possible charges. It didn't give any truly specific information, just insinuated a bunch of possibilities (like drugs and conspiracy) It instructed him to call as soon as possible during normal duty hours. We delivered it to him late Friday night, which meant that the earliest he could call would be Monday (so he had all weekend to sweat).

Again, it was very official looking and signed by "Sanders, H.D., Col, USAF" and gave the office phone number.

Of course, when Monday morning rolled around, he immediately called the Colonel's office only to learn that he was calling Kentucky Fried Chicken and that "Sanders, H.D., Col, USAF" turned out to be Colonel (Harland) Sanders of KFC fame.

I know, it was a mean thing to do, but...

18. Nov 13, 2009 #18

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

We sent people to the engineering department to get a "skirting board (base board in US English) ladder" and "dooferators."...

19. Nov 13, 2009 #19

dmac286

dmac286

dmac286

OK, I shouldn't but, next time you get together in a hanger too talk, spike the coffee with unflavored jello. Anybody who lets the coffee get a little cold gets jello coffee. It doesn't hurt anyone and you can't taste it but it will give you some interesting faces when they try and pour their old coffee out.:gig::gig::gig:

20. Nov 13, 2009 #20

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

OK, I've got another, but I can't tell it in mixed company! We'll have to wait for the next Forum Gathering. ;)