Quantcast

O-100-- interesting new engine

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pete Plumb

Testing continues with excellent flights. I made a significant milestone yesterday after deciding to do an extended full power run. Took off from KMIT and climbed to 10,500 msl. All temps were normal, engine purred like a tiger! I leveled off and flew normally with a no wind ground speed of about 89 mph @ 2750 rpm. Smooth air but cold. Oil temp only made it up to 150°.IMG_20171209_103409.jpg

Pete Plumb

Testing continues with excellent flights. I made a significant milestone yesterday after deciding to to an extended full power run. Took off from KMIT and climbed to 10,500 msl. All temps were normal, engined purred like a tiger! I leveled off and flew normally with a no wind ground speed of about 89 mph @ 2750 rpm. Smooth air but cold. Oil temp only made it up to 150°.View attachment 67894IMG_20171209_103418.jpg NOTE: I realize the altimeter is reading 9500 and that was right before the battery in my phone died. Tried to fire it back up to verify the 10,500 but she was a no-go. Don't know why but it was kinda freaky being way up there.

Last edited:

Pete Plumb

Hi Pete, I was wondering how many hours have been accumulated on the test stand and in flight test, it looks like it is progressing well. I think your engine is what BMW would have built if they were still in aero engines.

I was reading through this thread, and know that you have worked with the design for more 5 years now. That is a level of dedication almost unheard of these days. I also noticed that you had a repair on the horizontal stabilizer a couple months back, what factor do you attribute that to? It got me thinking about resonance response, and how a very small input can destroy some structures. It reminded me of a story about Tesla putting a small mechanical oscillator on the frame of a early skyscraper and finding the frequency that nearly brought it down.

I don't care what man designs, there are always subtle nuances to uncover, contemplate, and understand.
We just went through 40 hours today. I say "we" because my friend Josh Knerr took it up for a quick flight after I got back from The Rocket Shop over at L45.

The stab spar damage was water damage. This plane has lived its entire life on the east coast and the Midwest and I think the condensation just kept running back to the rear spar. Continuous soaking and drying cycles killed it. All good now.IMG_20171004_162208.jpgIMG_20171006_110642.jpg New and the old.

galapoola

Hey Pete, great updates, thanks much. About your panel, bottom left 3 1/8" gauge, is that manifold pressure?

IMG_20171209_103418.jpg

N8053H

Hey Pete, great updates, thanks much. About your panel, bottom left 3 1/8" gauge, is that manifold pressure?

View attachment 67899
Sure looks like one to me. I myself would not fly without one. I look at this gauge more then the RPM gauge. In fact I rarely look at the RPM gauge. I watch the MP gauge. This gauge tells a lot more then the RPM gauge does.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I myself would not fly without one. I look at this gauge more then the RPM gauge. In fact I rarely look at the RPM gauge. I watch the MP gauge. This gauge tells a lot more then the RPM gauge does.
Since the majority of my flying time is behind a fixed pitch propeller, the majority of my flying has been in airplanes without a manifold pressure gauge.

BJC

edit: In fairness, I guess that I should admit that most of my fixed pitch flying has been with the noise lever either full on or full off.

Last edited:

Pete Plumb

View attachment 67899
Yes, the bottom left gauge is M.P. I agree with N8053H -this gauge tells a lot more then the RPM gauge does. In my humble opinion, MP is an invaluable instrument, even in non-variable-pitch-prop aircraft. I installed one in my Airknocker when I first got it. It makes it so much easier to make power changes because it is instantaneous where the tach is very dependent on airspeed to register different settings. Not trying to start a debate here, it is just a personal preference.

From the start of the DP-1 test program, I wanted to have both tach and MP so I could monitor my "true" power settings. I've been running it at 26" and 2750 for cruise which seems to be the DP-1's sweet spot with this particular Catto prop. I can pull 25" up to about 5500 feet at full power for climb but when I level (I use 4500 and 5500 msl for most X-countries up and down the Valley here), I have to throttle back a bit to keep it from over revving. Prop needs a little tweaking.

I'm getting a real good handle on the fuel burn guys. Remember, I was guessing at 3 gph way back, but now that it is broke-in and been able to get it up and cruise around in it, it is consistently burning 2.4 to 2.6 gph between fill-ups (usually about 7.5 gallons and 3 hours on the tach). Oil consumption is negligible. The PCV valve on the breather is allowing a normal amount of oil [for a Continental] to spit out the breather tube. I recently took the break-in oil out and put the AeroShell 15W50 in it for winter. Hand propping at 40 degrees with the W100 was like stirring molasses.

Well, that's about it for now. I fly almost every day so I'll keep you guys up to date.

Pete

Autodidact

Wow, been up for a day and there's already 2,200 views. I think for something as esoteric as a small engine for homebuilt aircraft, that's a very good indication of interest.

Cy V

One thing I still don't understand is the 57hp rating. If it's essentially half of an O-200, shouldn't it, you know, put out half the power?

cptcliffhanger

One thing I still don't understand is the 57hp rating. If it's essentially half of an O-200, shouldn't it, you know, put out half the power?
increased compression, lighter pistons and rods, and higher redline.. a stock O-200 makes more than 100 HP if all you do is rev it higher :).. lighter pistons and rods alone may allow higher redline, couple that with a redline that is likely conservative to begin with on the O-200.. also I think more care was taken to balance the O-100 than the O-200..

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
also I think more care was taken to balance the O-100 than the O-200..
Waaay more care was taken.

Although I am not technically qualified to say how or when it will be done, I'm fairly confident that when there is a good electronic ignition unit developed for this engine, it will be a legitimate 60HP powerplant. In rough terms, that means that it will likely be a viable replacement for the Rotax 532 and 582 engines as well as the 503.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Waaay more care was taken.

Although I am not technically qualified to say how or when it will be done, I'm fairly confident that when there is a good electronic ignition unit developed for this engine, it will be a legitimate 60HP powerplant. In rough terms, that means that it will likely be a viable replacement for the Rotax 532 and 582 engines as well as the 503.
Also the smaller VW conversions, at a considerable weight savings. And I say that as a big VW fan.

cptcliffhanger

also possibly an excuse to design a plane that didnt exist before because you couldnt find an engine worthy of your time to build an airplane to put behind it..

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Concerning the ignition - I noticed in the video that there were two mags hanging off the accessory case. They looked like standard sized units, and if so that is a huge percentage of the overall weight fraction for the installed engine. Ross' CPI unit would shave several pounds of worthless weight and almost certainly give a kick in performance.