O-100-- interesting new engine

Discussion in 'Firewall Forward / Props / Fuel system' started by Dana, Jul 19, 2012.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 27, 2017 #681

Daleandee

Daleandee

Daleandee

Absolutely correct! Here we likes to say ... "Run what you brung!"

Dale Williams
    N319WF @ 6J2
    Myunn - "daughter of Cleanex"
    120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
    Tail Wheel - Center Stick
    Signature Finish 2200 Paint Job
    166.7 hours / Status - Flying
    Member # 109 - Florida Sonex Association

delta, mcrae0104 and Pops like this.
  2. Dec 29, 2017 #682

BJC

BJC

BJC

Over coffee and homemade doughnuts this morning, I was discussing engines with a neighbor and former Vans Aircraft employee. After talking about two cylinder engines, including Pete’s new engine, he stumped me with the following question, which I now ask HBAers. What is an RV-5?

Turns out to be a design that has roots in lots of threads here: light weight, simple to build, designed to be trailored to and from the airport (the wing rotated about the X axis), low HP requirement, and a real airplane configuration with a high wing.

Apparently it was not to Dick’s liking, so it never was offered as a product.

It did make me wonder if the RV-5 design, updated somewhat, and equipped with Pete’s engine, might be a popular scratch built offering.

What do you think?

BJC

3. Dec 29, 2017 #683

BJC

BJC

BJC

Over coffee and homemade doughnuts this morning, I was discussing engines with a neighbor and former Vans Aircraft employee. After talking about two cylinder engines, including Pete’s new engine, he stumped me with the following question, which I now ask HBAers. What is an RV-5?

Turns out to be a design that has roots in lots of threads here: light weight, simple to build, designed to be trailored to and from the airport (the wing rotated about the X axis), low HP requirement, and a real airplane configuration with a high wing.

Apparently it was not to Dick’s liking, so it never was offered as a product.

It did make me wonder if the RV-5 design, updated somewhat, and equipped with Pete’s engine, might be a popular scratch built offering.

What do you think?

BJC

4. Dec 29, 2017 #684

Pete Plumb

Pete Plumb

Pete Plumb

I think I would love to see it! I love Van's designs. Most versatile, nicest flying airplanes ever!

5. Dec 29, 2017 #685

galapoola

galapoola

galapoola

BackYardFlyerUltralightSpecsPage.jpg

Back Yard Flyer scissor wing fold, fits in the ultralight space and with looks only a mother could love. Concept of a single piece wing is excellent but it would need to be nicer looking. This design's wing is out of proportion, too chunky for my taste.

6. Dec 29, 2017 #686

TFF

TFF

TFF

I heard at one time the RV 5 was being restored. Of the pictures I have seen, its like a single seat Cygnet; more of a shoulder wing. It would be interesting to inspect it.

7. Dec 31, 2017 #687

Pete Plumb

Pete Plumb

Pete Plumb

Well Folks, we have achieved two major milestones in the Pegasus DP-1 story.

First, we just flew through 50 hours on the tach in the Geissinger Cracker Jack, N205CJ. The engine has performed flawlessly without so much as a hiccup. The Zenith-Bendix 13859 Harley carb seems to be holding up fine although I'm really getting antsy to try fuel injection. 50 hours.jpg

The second milestone is that my son, Nick, got to live his life-long dream this weekend and flew the Cracker Jack. The kid grew up playing in the prototype when it was stored in our garage and has only seen pictures of it flying and dreamt of being behind the stick. Down from their home in Washington, and with Dad's confidence in the airplane and engine running high, Nick climbed in the cockpit and took her up for an hour flight over KMIT. Later, he shot a bunch of landings and just had fun. He made me so proud. It was as exciting for me to watch him fly it as it was for him. Nick Flies N205CJ sml.jpg

8. Jan 1, 2018 #688

Autodidact

Autodidact

Autodidact

Beautiful airplane. Supermarine Sparrow II would fly great with a DP-100 I bet!

9. Jan 1, 2018 #689

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

Good stuff Pete.

Whenever you want to try EFI on the engine, just drop me a PM or email. We'll fix you up with some test hardware to get the ball rolling.

dragon2knight and Pops like this.
  10. Jan 3, 2018 #690

Pete Plumb

Pete Plumb

Pete Plumb

Just one of the little clips of Nick's flight in Cracker Jack N205CJ last weekend. I've been uploading more stuff to YouTube as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_GZY1d1cPc

Also the 50 hr screen pull:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjedbcIjexU

And a little tour of the the working end of the Cracker Jack after 50 hours - just uncowled. I skip around a bit, sorry. I need to slow down and finish my thoughts. :ponder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUBmvu_440o&t=12s

Takeoff and climb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DiqHjWL10c

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  11. Jan 3, 2018 #691

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Congratulations on the milestones, Pete! That's really great news, and you must be proud as punch to see your boy take the Cracker Jack up!

I think Ross's EFI is going to be a really great match to the engine, and a great option, but please don't think about waiting for that to put the DP-1 on the market. The engine is already great the way it is, with a carb. More improvements can come later, and be sold as upgrades. Right now, my fondest hope for you is that you finish up your planned test program, set up your sales network, and start seeing some return on the many years of time and money you've invested, along with people enjoying your engine pulling them through the sky.

At some point, you just have to shoot the engineer and release to sales. ;)

Pete Plumb likes this.
  12. Jan 3, 2018 #692

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Love the way it sounds.

13. Jan 3, 2018 #693

fly2kads

fly2kads

fly2kads

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Me, too! It's sort of like a cross between an airplane and a Harley. How can you not like that? :)

bmcj and Pete Plumb like this.
  14. Jan 3, 2018 #694

Pete Plumb

Pete Plumb

Pete Plumb

15. Jan 3, 2018 #695

Pete Plumb

Pete Plumb

Pete Plumb

A quick addendum to the residual oil on the engine that was baffling me in the 50 hour inspection video. Actually, Nick reminded me that I cranked it up with the oil cap loose and it blew oil all over the place. How embarrassing! That's one thing about a twin opposed engine is that they try to displace all the air in the case every stroke so if you leave the cap off, 100 cubic inches of air blows out in a big huff! Can't go unnoticed. Anyway, that is probably the best explanation for where the oil on the engine came from. It really doesn't seem to be leaking anywhere.

Pete

dragon2knight, Joe Fisher and Topaz like this.
  16. Jan 3, 2018 #696

Wayne

Wayne

Wayne

How many people have designed and brought to fruition their own airplane and their own engine? Major kudos from me Sir!

dragon2knight and Pete Plumb like this.
  17. Jan 4, 2018 #697

Highplains

Highplains

Highplains

I was thinking BMW R series boxer. Very easy to listen to.

I've looked everywhere for the specs on the Crackerjack. My Kitplanes collection started in late 1985, so I don't have that February 85 issue. But what is the area and weight?

18. Jan 4, 2018 #698

Pete Plumb

Pete Plumb

Pete Plumb

Highplains, I'll post the original specs and the new specs when I get in tomorrow. What would be the best forum or thread to do that in? In the mean time, the original span was 28', chord 45", area 104, AR 7.46, length 18', weight of my prototype was 406 I think. The Geissinger Crackerjack is 443 empty and about 660 with me and full of fuel.

19. Jan 4, 2018 #699

Pete Plumb

Pete Plumb

Pete Plumb

Thank you SO much Wayne! Necessity is the mother of invention!

20. Jan 4, 2018 #700

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

And how many of THOSE people created both an airplane and an engine that BOTH performed well, safely, and represented a truly viable product that others would see as a high value in the market?

Pete's far too humble to say this so I am going to open up my gigantic mouth and say it for him... This development program puts him in some pretty impressive company. Aeronca did it, DeHavilland did it. How many other examples can the historians on HBA name, where a civilian aircraft and the engine for that aircraft were developed at the same place? Let's leave out the wartime emergencies (Junkers Jumo engines on Junkers airplanes, Bristol engines on Bristol Beaufighters, etc.)

For bonus points, how many of these results were from mostly the design and engineering efforts of one person? i.e. did Sir Geoffrey design and develop the aircraft and the Gipsy engines?

Like I said, Pete may actually be in a group of one or two people.