New Dormoy Bathtub (Kimbrel) pictures

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

FritzW

Log Member
I went and looked at a Kimbrel version of a Dormoy Bathtub today. It's for sale in Silver City, NM. The owner passed away so his son-in-law is selling it. They're asking $5k (negotiable). I knew I wasn't going to buy it (not enough leg room for me) so I didn't see how far down he was willing to go on the price.

...but new 'barn find' pictures are always fun

DM10oc.jpg DNB1oc.jpg DB7oc.jpg DB3oc.jpg

DBrudderperdals.jpg DBstick.jpg

DBwingbox.jpg The wings are in this steel box and it we would have needed to remove 100+ screws to take a look at them. ...my heart sank when I saw the center row of screws, I hope they didn't tear up the wing.

Tiger Tim

Too bad about not fitting, I guess that means I can’t get a Flying Bathtub either. Looks like an excellent start for someone (small) who wants one though.

pwood66889

I went and looked at a Kimbrel version of a Dormoy Bathtub today. It's for sale in Silver City, NM. The owner passed away so his son-in-law is selling it. They're asking $5k ...but new 'barn find' pictures are always fun!
Wings are in this steel box and .. we would have needed to remove 100+ screws to take a look at them. I hope they didn't tear up the wing.
Do have the Banty Plans and description from 1989. They say good things about the `tub. The wings are probably the same sticks as used in the Banty.
Barn finds have to be exceptionally well priced, though, because of the chances one takes. However, the engine may be worth the money.

Percy in NW FL, USA

FritzW

Log Member
I think Mike Kimbrel must be a pretty small guy, the Banty is pretty tight also.

Your right about barn finds, they're a 'pig in a poke'. If the seller had said $1,000 I would have taken it home.

Erkki,
I thought about a tall boy tub but, like you, I think 'sit on top' is the way to go.

pwood66889

I think Mike Kimbrel must be a pretty small guy, the Banty is pretty tight also.
He was, Fritz, IIRC from that `89 visit. The information I got noted that he had soloed his son in the `tub which could explain some of the sizing.
He did fly the Banty for me - that's why I sprung for the plans. I still have them and they are well done.
Percy

Last edited: