New Community Amphibious LSA VAL-31 "Aquarius" a non commercial project

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by anvegger, Jan 4, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 11, 2018 #61

anvegger

anvegger

anvegger

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

We are planning to keep a few options for the builders in reference to Powerplant. Initially the design is Rotax driven. But we are working very close with Viking Aircraft Engines , UL Power and some other small vendors to see what would be the ideal selection for us and our customers
    The plan is to offer the carbon fiber reinforced materials wholesale price to keep the cost very very low. It is much easier to work with that material and it is stronger and lighter better for many reasons. And of cause the price will go down with time and the advanced processes to be improved. I doubt that the carbon fiber row material cost will be ever go up.
    LA-50 airplane is a complex plane. It is meant to satisfy a small group of racing advanced and well trained pilots. It is an excellent plane for some special and (in my opinion) fairly small PPL ++ group. Our plane is a fun flying machine for millions. Please keep that in mind.
    Taking off from the surface is a special skill - we are asking for a support and for the review the large group of SeaPlane Pilots Association members. I think in many cases that would be their skills embedded to help first timers to take off of the water. In my experience - if we are talking about our direct competitor the ICON A5 - our plane is nothing but fun flying jetski with the wings

[video=youtube;J9Jo70LsMMI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9Jo70LsMMI[/video]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
  2. Jan 11, 2018 #62

orkaan

orkaan

orkaan

"LA-50 airplane is a complex plane. It is meant to satisfy a small group of racing advanced and well trained pilots. It is an excellent plane for some special and (in my opinion) fairly small PPL ++ group. Our plane is a fun flying machine for millions. Please keep that in mind"

Here I do not agree with you ... I flew on almost all models and I must say that it is very simple to operate, stable on the course ... anyone can quickly master it
    Why do you say so without flying on the Patriot?
    Only tasted the apple, you can say it is a sweet or bitter ...

Look for this engine If all goes well, it is a very interesting option for a light aircraft ...
    http://www.stuttgart.engineering/specifications/

3. Jan 11, 2018 #63
  4. Jan 12, 2018 #64

anvegger

anvegger

anvegger

Dear orkaan.. Unfortunately that is not what I say. That is the definition of a complex airplane Please take a look at that paragraph in CFR

A retractable gear (not necessary for a seaplane);
    In-flight adjustable flaps; and
    A controllable pitch propeller.

The FAA's definition is given in 14 CFR 61.1:

5. Jan 12, 2018 #65

anvegger

anvegger

anvegger

By all the means - that is and always will be the complex airplane and that requires a lot of special piloting skills. Not just to be a PPL but PPL with some very special skills set. And in order to get the training on the similar type of an aircraft - we have to have a certified aircraft of a similar origin (single engine retractable gear, flaps and variable pitch with the engine that has less than 180 h.p. Because the engine that is over 200 h.p also has a Powered category. Which is a different line of business. So - how many certified planes like that do you know? (Only to get the appropriate training for that enforcement)

6. Jan 12, 2018 #66

anvegger

anvegger

anvegger

That is an excellent reference dear orkaan. many thanks for pointing me to that. In our case scenario the less expensive would be the operations cost the better. If that engine will be available this year - I would be personally the first in line to beg those folks to share the one with us

7. Jan 12, 2018 #67

anvegger

anvegger

anvegger

(Endorsement is the right word) I am flying Cessna 172 RG only because of that specific training. And I know the only flight school in my area that has such a privilege . All others are miles and miles away. I have about 5 hours of training with my instructor and have never flown myself . I will but not today or tomorrow. I put my promise to visit Brovary Ukraine airport and meet Alexander Golovach the owner of this company and fly his amazing airplane this spring. But to be able to sit in my left pilot sit I need that endorsement in my pilot's book, don't I ?

24937_1505258704.jpg

8. Jan 12, 2018 #68

narfi

narfi

narfi

In your Russian blog, are those other formers you made for the wing?
    If someone wanted a bigger engine and to go faster(not limit themselves to LSA), would there be an option for stronger wings and perhaps reinforced hull if needed? Or would there be too little gained with more power to be practical?

Riggerrob likes this.
  9. Jan 12, 2018 #69

anvegger

anvegger

anvegger

Our team is working on several editions under EAB rules - We are reviewing the opportunity of using engine for up to 300 h.p. for fast and powerful fun flying - racing to be exact. The initial original L-31 construction is capable of doing aerobatic flying but we are limiting that abilities for our mass production and safety constraints

narfi likes this.
  10. Jan 12, 2018 #70

anvegger

anvegger

anvegger

The plane is such a flexible in terms of a collections of modules that any combination of your engine and your wing would be very much suitable to the boat / cockpit attachment. Think about a swing boat with the wings and driven by the engine on top of it That is the idea behind that project. Fun flying and easy to operate boat with the wings

rust-germany-giant-swing-boat-at-europa-park-rust-D22N29.jpg

Or even better video from Cirque du Soleil

narfi likes this.
  11. Jan 12, 2018 #71

anvegger

anvegger

anvegger

I asked Mr Golovach that question. The answer was - that was a 400 m long runway at that time. Now it is much longer - 730 m long - the video is old for understanding the real beauty. Mister Golovach has asked me to demonstrate the other video for those who might be interested in comparison. That video is a proof of 5 people inside of a LA-50 and it takes off back to back with Cessna 172 with a single pilot on board.

[video=youtube;H0QeImljIYk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0QeImljIYk[/video]

Isn't that something? I was amazed and I am still is.

12. Jan 12, 2018 #72

anvegger

anvegger

anvegger

Another video of that amazing aircraft from Ukraine: That is a true aerobatic flying performed by a professional racing pilot on that outstanding Rotax driven frame

Please don't take me wrong - Mister Golovach and his plane are not in competition with my project. His plane is not an LSA and we are servicing completely different needs, but that is about how we are all alike and how much we love our job and how we all love fun flying and making airplanes. we are working very much in the same cockpit but taking care of our customer's safety and proficiency

13. Jan 12, 2018 #73

orkaan

orkaan

orkaan

"I will but not today or tomorrow. I put my promise to visit Brovary Ukraine airport and meet Alexander Golovach the owner of this company and fly his amazing airplane this spring. But to be able to sit in my left pilot sit I need that endorsement in my pilot's book, don't I ?"

If you happen to come to Kiev and fly to Patriot, you will be pleasantly surprised by the ease of management
    ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2018
  14. Jan 12, 2018 #74

narfi

narfi

narfi

Ease of management does not change the law. We do not make the laws, we follow the laws.
    I feel Anvegger does not disagree with you, he just knows the laws in our country that must be followed.

So I can build the Hull which has wing attachment fittings,
    Then build a wing and attach it to those fittings,
    Then attach an engine to that wing and build a cowling around it.

If I want a different engine, I unbolt it, and bolt on another and build a cowling around it.
    If I want a different wing, I unbolt it and bolt on another design I have built for the purpose.

However, If I first build a LSA hull/wing/engine, will the hull be strong enough to withstand water pressures at speed with more weight or more speed?
    If I first build a LSA hull/wing/engine, will the attachment fittings be strong enough to support more weight and power between the wings and hull?
    If I first build a LSA hull/wing/engine, and overpower it to go faster and carry heavier people, will the wings support that load without breaking?

I assume yes, if this is your intent, but ask anyways to make sure :)

I know that some amphibians such as the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Aircraft behave differently to power adjustments that pilots accustomed to flying traditional aircraft because the engine is placed much higher than the rest of the plane. (increased power noses the plane forward, reduced power causes the nose to go up, much the opposite of what one would expect in an emergency situation in a traditional aircraft)
    They originally had many accidents because of this, but have corrected the issue with proper training.

Your aircraft has the thrust line lower in relation than the Lake, but is that still something to be concerned with in flight training?

15. Jan 12, 2018 #75

anvegger

anvegger

anvegger

I truly look forward to it. The plane looks very much attractive to me She is nicely and gently designed and looks High Techie She is just beautiful and I can't wait to jump into the cockpit Heard many good feedback from those who has flown her even the first time. But please don't take me wrong - she is not simple to fly and requires a lot of preparation in our fields of delivery and distribution. Hope we will be doing the right things together in the nearest future.

By the way - for those who does not know I am originally from Odessa Ukraine and my relatives cousins and first cousins once removed live in Kiev Ukraine

16. Jan 12, 2018 #76

orkaan

orkaan

orkaan

What is Anvegger?
    I know perfectly well what the laws in aviation are written ...
    But the feeling of pleasure of pleasant management of a good airplane, the laws can not be written ...

17. Jan 12, 2018 #77

anvegger

anvegger

anvegger

O my God Mr narti - such an excellent set of questions. Let me try to address them accordingly:

Yes I do and I work very closely with CFI and FAA safety advisers in my area to keep the proficiency and ground rules knowledge up to speed. Thanks Boss.
    That is the goal of a project: make KIT flexible enough to share different configurations when the training and flying comfort is becoming very positive. Let our plane grow together with the skills that we acquire.
    and sell your wings engines to those who need it the most at the moment
    Yes of cause we have a safety factor greater than 6
    Yes of cause
    We have this data for our comparison and adjusting the design features accordingly
    Flight training will be the most important thing in our case scenario. And we are moving our production and training facility to the same place where legendary Lake Aircraft was residing 40 years ago - to Laconia and that must be excited for that transition

18. Jan 12, 2018 #78

anvegger

anvegger

anvegger

I agree with you a hundred times. But - what would be that feelings worth if such a beautiful plane will be grounded and she cannot fly due to some lack of ... safety procedures as an example :):::: Sad and pity feelings instead.

19. Jan 12, 2018 #79

narfi

narfi

narfi

20. Jan 12, 2018 #80

anvegger

anvegger

anvegger

That would be our trade mark. Will see of how they will be helping us to make our wings. This would be one part of our in-house knowledge transfer.

Wings_Plug_00.jpg Wings_Plug_01.jpg Wings_Plug_02.jpg