New Community Amphibious LSA VAL-31 "Aquarius" a non commercial project

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by anvegger, Jan 4, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 4, 2018 #21

anvegger

anvegger

anvegger

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

The hull has been prepared and sanded but unfortunately the epoxy went down frozen and got thicken

111_1947.jpg 111_1964.jpg 111_1962.jpg

2. Jan 4, 2018 #22

anvegger

anvegger

anvegger

I went home to bring reserved set of epoxy / hardener to get the ball rolling. We are using Aeromarine Products 300/21 for this project and 3K carbon as our reinforcement material

111_1963.jpg 111_1965.jpg 111_1972.jpg

3. Jan 4, 2018 #23

anvegger

anvegger

anvegger

Two layers of 3K Plain Weave Carbon and about 4 sets of 24 oz each mixture - that how we got started applying the base

111_1978.jpg 111_1983.jpg 111_1991.jpg

4. Jan 4, 2018 #24

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

Beauty!
    The version with sponsons (sea wings) looks easy to dock at marinas with better restaurants.

5. Jan 4, 2018 #25

anvegger

anvegger

anvegger

Thanks Boss! We are making a few corrections to the original design. Firstly that would be an ASTM compliant for a seaplane with a single engine 1420 lb gross , with BRS included and side doors as our main exit point . The original top behind the wing entrance will be used as an emergency escape point. We still not finalized the gear set design since we did not get any initial requirements for that project from the team. And our sea wings would be used as a host for that gear set

6. Jan 4, 2018 #26

anvegger

anvegger

anvegger

The idea of how to generate the income for this project is simple. We are planning to share this design with many educational and non-for a profit organizations. Just to distribute and share the knowledge of how the amphibious carbon fiber reinforced material plane could be made as an affordable and easy to deliver construction project. The more planes (aircraft) will be constructed the better solution will be finally delivered. That is why we are planning to create a few support centers and invite people to our facility for educational and knowledge sharing sessions. The commercial part of such a project will be created from the left-over materials using the cfx.aero umbrella design mini sub-projects. As an example we are planning to build and sell inexpensive car seats, pedal boats , business cards made of Carbon Fiber , some small items etc. I think that this model might get off of the ground. Any comments questions recommendations concerns are extremely welcomed.

7. Jan 4, 2018 #27

anvegger

anvegger

anvegger

As many of you may be aware of the ICON A5 waiting list is growing and currently as big as Raptor's. (> 2000 pre-qualified customers) ICON has reported 8 production aircraft deliveries in 2017 and started the SLSA manufacturing reporting to gama.aero. That is already a big milestone. Here is my list of the best known S-LSA amphibian projects. The price tags are outdated (I published that research about a year ago) - since ICON has doubled the price I guess that it would be all the followers changing their price tag. Without any doubt.

ICON A5 = 189 000 USD
    AERO = 189 000 USD
    LISA Akoya = 300 000 EUR = 321 000 USD
    SkyWave = 1 800 000 CNY = 260 000 USD
    Searey Elite SLSA = 158 000 USD
    Vicker's Wave = 180 000 USD
    ATOL = 149 000 EUR = 160 000 USD
    Gannet = 88 000 EUR = 94 000 USD
    AirMax SeaMax = 150 000 USD
    Mermaid = 165 000 USD
    Evada = 250 000 USD
    Equator P2 = ??? ~ 150 000 USD
    FlyWhale = 152 000 EUR = 163 000 USD
    IDEA Hydropteron = 100 000 EUR = 107 000 USD
    Super Petrel LS = 170 000 USD

Out of 15 start ups only two companies are offering KIT construction based planes: "Searey" and "Equator". The S-LSA category is applicable to the post - R&D Experimental aircraft that are made at the factory with the Quality Control processes embedded to the production work flow. In order to get S-LSA compliance the producer or manufacturer has to get approval from ASTM accredited consulting shop. The paperwork is the key. here is the list of rules:

That is our distant future. At this moment we are working on our prototype and our conceptual design. Please look at the new Canadian Venture a hybrid amphibian plane Same idea: Light Composite Construction, hybrid propulsion and versatile by nature.

8. Jan 4, 2018 #28

anvegger

anvegger

anvegger

The first time I looked at the ICON A5 plane a few years back visiting OSH at summer; Then I read a few interesting referential articles by Dr Phil Greenspun I realized that ICON is a very inspiring and ambitious project . The company has created a new and completely undeveloped niche of those who is not afraid of dying - adrenaline driven pilots. And that I would completely understand and agree with many observers .

icon09.jpg iCon08.jpg icon06.jpg

9. Jan 4, 2018 #29

anvegger

anvegger

anvegger

I posted a lot of interesting articles over these years about that project , about its development implementation and its competition - sorry they are in Russian Language - but you will recognize my passion about this aircraft category. Especially since we have had one was flying right next door to my home airport

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
  10. Jan 4, 2018 #30

anvegger

anvegger

anvegger

And i was always thinking of those who might never get such a dream to become a reality. The single passenger flying boat capable of taking off and landing any possible place in the world.

111_1989.jpg 111_1980.jpg

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  11. Jan 4, 2018 #31

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

Canadian Venture amphibian looks like it is designed to compete with Republic Seabee or Lake Amphibian, in the 1,000 pound useful load category. It has a large cabin like a Seabee but much more power. Seabees were always slow with stock 200 hp. Franklins.
    Venture's 700 hp might be over-powered ... except when taking off from a mountain lake on a hot day. Hybrid electric power will keep noise down, keeping neighbors happy and opening up more harbours to Venture.
    Venture's most interesting feature is its wheels. They look fixed. If it can be landed wheels-down (like Rutan's Skigull) - more than once - insurance companies might reduce premiums.

anvegger likes this.
  12. Jan 4, 2018 #32

anvegger

anvegger

anvegger

We are working towards similar design. Another plane that is using similar landing gears feature is Vicker's Wave

Wave-overall-image.jpg

And yes you are absolutely correct Venture is a bit upper scale from LSA target market.

13. Jan 5, 2018 #33

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

I am considering this dual vertical fin and rudder configuration for a twin engine design. The idea is that each engine blasts it's own vertical tail set directly inline behind the engine. Both verticals could also be offset to the outside about 2°. If either engine fails the remaining blasted offset fin might automatically correct some for the asymmetric thrust.
    I wonder if the fins on the Beech 18 are offset at all for this?

14. Jan 5, 2018 #34

anvegger

anvegger

anvegger

I like that point - very interesting hypotheses Most likely that was the real aerodynamic decision behind that design

15. Jan 7, 2018 #35

anvegger

anvegger

anvegger

We got a bit of a snowstorm the end of the week Looks wonderful but unfortunately too much snow to deal with

Winter_2018_00.jpg Winter_2018_01.jpg

16. Jan 7, 2018 #36

anvegger

anvegger

anvegger

After this crazy hit by Noreaster we came to the Hangar and study the melting process of our epoxy product. The 300 component (the resin) got frozen inside of a cup

EpoxyResinFrozen.jpg HardenerFrozen.jpg SolidMix.jpg

17. Jan 7, 2018 #37

anvegger

anvegger

anvegger

Took me about four minutes to get it melted out

ResinStartsHeating_00.jpg ResinGetsmelted_00.jpg ResinIsMelted_00.jpg

18. Jan 7, 2018 #38

anvegger

anvegger

anvegger

And right after the tent heating start up - we checked and tested all of our first approach layers . Overall we were satisfied with the results. No major blobs or inconsistencies

Hull_080.jpg Hull_081.jpg Hull_083.jpg

19. Jan 7, 2018 #39

anvegger

anvegger

anvegger

And of cause cleaning is the key component of all the work.

Hull_088.jpg Hull_087.jpg Hull_084.jpg

20. Jan 7, 2018 #40

anvegger

anvegger

anvegger

That is how our first two layers are look alike

Hull_089.jpg Hull_0812.jpg