• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Need Some Builder Expertise - Hardware Compatibility

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donryan

Hello All,

I am NOT a pilot, let me get that out there first! :) I'm actually doing a car restoration and am using cad plated hardware throughout - mostly for corrosion resistence, but also partly for strength and partly for appearance. My question deals with nut and bolt compatability based on AN number.

I'm used to checking thread counts (TPI) when I work with cars. That is, a 5/16" bolt with a 18 TPI needs a 5/16" nut with an equivalent TPI of 18.

I've read afew different web pages about AN spec bolts and the one thing they are silent on is thread count for nuts.

I thought I understood that the dash after the AN365 nut spec told me thread count. But if you look at Aircraft Spruce's site (which is where I'm getting my hardware), you won't find a nut with the same stated thread count as a particular bolt.

For instance, I need an AN-7 bolt that is 2 7/32". That bolt has a thread count specified as "-21". When I look up an AN365 nut within the AN-7 spec, it is denoted with a "-20".

I already called Aircraft Spruce. The guy was helpful and said it didn't matter, but I wanted to confirm that here with people actually depending on the right hardware selections.

So, if I'm talking the same AN#, can I ignore thread count (an AN-7 bolt will always work with an AN-7 nut, same with AN-5, AN-6, etc.)???

Thanks for your expertise!

Back