Quantcast

Name the plane.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

BJC

HBA Supporter
Was outside this morning when a distinctive engine sound caught my attention. A small biplane, smaller than an S-1, and with neither wing swept, flew over then circled around.

Name the airplane. The first correct answer earns you the right to purchase one cup of coffee at your favorite coffee shop.

BJC

Tiger Tim

‘Distinctive engine sound’ has me thinking outside flat fours. Is the Samson Mite smaller than an S-1?

BJC

HBA Supporter
‘Distinctive engine sound’ has me thinking outside flat fours. Is the Samson Mite smaller than an S-1?
BINGO

The sound of the 9 cylinder Verner is unique; that was the clue that I thought would define the airplane. I think that Samson Mite’s firewall to tail post is equal to a Pitts S-1, with overall length less, but not certain.

BJC
2E761BAB-8762-4D73-BA8B-4C4C701AF190.jpeg

Tiger Tim

That’s a seriously cool plane. Something about half way between the Samson and the Mite seems like it would be just the right size...

Tiger Tim

Anyone else care to post a “Name the plane”?
I’ll give it a shot.

It’s another airplane with a distinctive enough sound to send any real enthusiast running outside and I was flying it back in September. Swept wing biplane, room for four people, dual controls, and some controls need a window opened to operate.

What was I in?

BJC

HBA Supporter
That’s a seriously cool plane. Something about half way between the Samson and the Mite seems like it would be just the right size...
Like the Samson, the Mite uses the 23012 airfoil in both wings, which is more favorable for top speed, stall speed, and RoC than the round-winged S-1S. The Mite is very light, and uses a large diameter propeller that seems to be very efficient. The only negative is that the engine is not suitable for negative g; it would look great making an inverted pass.

BJC

BJC

HBA Supporter
I’ll give it a shot.

It’s another airplane with a distinctive enough sound to send any real enthusiast running outside and I was flying it back in September. Swept wing biplane, room for four people, dual controls, and some controls need a window opened to operate.

What was I in?
I immediately thought of a New Standard, but, AFAIK, they don’t have swept wings.

BJC

Last edited:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Stampe pictures 013.JPG Stampe pictures 020.JPG

What is it ? Helping my neighbor in getting it home.