Quantcast

Name the plane.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

bmcj

HBA Supporter
OK, I have one...

Biplane, square tips, upper wing is noticeably longer than the lower wing, slight forward stagger with lift struts instead of flying wires, Continental 220hp radial, tall rounded rudder with a lot of taper, rectangular stab with rounded tips. Taildragger and fabric covered.

I’ll post a photo hint later after you’ve had a chance to guess from the description. Any questions about the design? Not a homebuilt.

cheapracer

Log Member
OK, I have one...

Biplane, square tips, upper wing is noticeably longer than the lower wing, slight forward stagger with lift struts instead of flying wires, Continental 220hp radial, tall rounded rudder with a lot of taper, rectangular stab with rounded tips. Taildragger and fabric covered.

I’ll post a photo hint later after you’ve had a chance to guess from the description. Any questions about the design? Not a homebuilt.

Waco ...?

waco.jpg

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Waco ...?
Nope, sorry. Gotta have square wingtips and more taper to the rudder.

I will say that this plane was not produced in large quantities and was a workhorse plane (not a family touring plane). Rare enough that those outside the U.S. have probably never seen one.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Nope. (Biplane?)
Since we are discussing the esoteric, I offer
Another more bizarre AT-6 conversion that I became aware of recently, the biplane conversion, was rebuilt in Selma, Alabama, by R.C. Stroop, for use as a sprayer. On an agplane website, I recently acquired three photos of the plane, apparently taken just after the conversion was completed, but before any spraying equipment was installed. This is where having a good library really
pays off, as a check of the US Civil Register on-line shows that number currently assigned to a Cessna 172. This is common, as when aircraft are scrapped and registrations are cancelled, the numbers are thrown back into the FAA’s “open file” when they are reassigned to other aircraft. Years ago, I began collecting paper copies and Microfische disks of the FAA’s US Civil registers, and my 1963 and 1964 issues. Along with the Warbirds Guide, listed this aircraft, N6435D, as c/n 88-17079, an AT-6D originally ordered by the Army as 42-85295, but later assigned to the Navy as SNJ-5, B/N 84995. It was probably retired from the Navy in the mid fifties, stored at NAF
Litchfield Park, and then sold as surplus in the late fifties. The conversion probably occurred about 1964, and the airplane is also listed in as being active between 1965 and 1970, when it disappears from sight. Late in its career, it was sold to a J.F. Carter, of Monroeville, AL, who used it for agricultural operations. Having a “Restricted” category license, it could be flown for spraying only, a common situation for agplanes.

BJC

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Since we are discussing the esoteric, I offer

BJC
We referred to the one in my quiz as the “Uglybird” but your Cessna biplane mod clearly takes the title! :bow:

By the way, the one in my quiz was called the “Clevinger”. Built by Clevinger Inc of Salinas CA, it was a purpose built cropduster that started life as a heavily modified Stinson L-5 Sentinel, received the Conti W-670 engine and a set of Luscombe 8A wings for the lower wing. It was a single seater.

http://aerialvisuals.ca/AirframeDossier.php?Serial=24232

The one in my photos is one of two that we had at Flabob Airport and they were used to haul salmon and other fish (in the built-in hopper) in Alaska seasonally. The owner wanted me to go up with him and fly one of the planes on his route. Despite having been aired out during the off-season, I only had to fly it a few times to decide that I couldn’t/wouldn’t put up with the ‘fishy’ smell.

Last edited:

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Anyone else care to post a “Name the plane”?
Sure, I'll bite.

Proposed single-seat fighter, prototyped and flown. Straight, untapered wings. No propeller. Also no jet. And, for the clincher, always operates in concert with another aircraft.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
BINGO! The one and only glider-fighter ever proposed, let alone built and flown. (The "Big additional hint" was my avatar.) Another design from one of my favorite aircraft designers, Richard Vogt. It would have always operated in concert with its towplane, a conventional piston-engined fighter.

For more information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blohm_&_Voss_BV_40

BJC

HBA Supporter
Name the plane. Hint, photographed at Sun n Fun a few years ago. I know that at least one HBAer will recognize it immediately; please don’t give it away.

546B01A1-EEAE-439A-B923-89BF302CDC8E.jpeg

BJC