• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Motivation to Endure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GESchwarz

As airplane builders perhaps our greatest adversary is Loss of Motivation. As a designer-builder, my build time is more than double that of a kit builder. I’m starting this thread to serve as a place for us to come and get recharged. I am soliciting all comments on this subject. Please include what has slowed your progress and how you succeeded in correcting it. There are so many things that enter our lives along the way that tend to pull us away and lose focus…”little things” like responsibilities, income, the need for life balance, relationships, health, etc.

Establishing a vision statement and a list of reasons why we choose to invest thousands of hours is critical. Years ago when I was saner I advised my Dad that he was crazy to build an airplane because it’s such a long ordeal. Now I’m doing exactly the same thing, which I guess shows that insanity is either contagious or genetic.

The journey has to be just as rewarding as the destination or you may never finish.

Here are some of my motivations:

· I see this as a sort of “final exam” of all of my knowledge and skills. I bake the cake and get to eat it too.

· I have always done things “my way”, so that’s why I going the “design your own” route.

· The challenge to create a machine that can make me fly, to leave the earth from nothing more than raw brain power, a bill of raw materials, and shear power will to make it happen.

More to follow, I’ve got to get to work

Back