Most Beautiful Aircraft Ever Built

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
No, only when considered in the category of "most beautiful aircraft ever built", and to provide a riposte to a comment about our lack of Concorde-ship :)

No offense intended; remember I'm a strong proponent of the Auster, madly in love with the Flitzer, and known to frequently remind people that most of the foundational words in aircraft design, such as longeron, aileron, empennage, and decalage... are neither American or British words :)

bmcj

HBA Supporter
the XB-70 and A-12, both of which flew in 1964,
I think the A-12 first flight was in ‘62, and Kelly Johnson told me that they had finalized the configuration in late ‘59.

Though flywheel pointed out that that the A-12 had a very limited customer base, the derivative SR-71 came along two years later and had a long, illustrious career.

By the way, yes I do realize that all of this U.S. vs England and Australia comparisons is just good spirited banter and teasing among friends.

Last edited:

Pilot-34

Didn’t the USA have a commercial jetliner capable of breaking the sound barrier in 1958, years before the concord?
And unlike The limited nearly handbuilt production run of the Concorde I think they built over 500 of them.

Last edited:

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Didn’t the USA have a commercial jetliner capable of breaking the sound barrier in 1958, years before the concord?
And unlike The limited nearly handbuilt production run of the Concorde I think they built over 500 of them.
Sort of. The Douglas DC-8 first flew in 1958, but it was 1960 when they set out to fly one at supersonic speeds to prove the aircraft would survive a flight at that speed. With the help of a steep descent, they reached and held a speed of Mach 1.01. However, the speed caused enough load against the stabilizer that they were not able to recover from the dive until the pilot pushed forward on the elevator to unload the downward force on the stab so that it could be retrimmed for level flight. The pilot also mentioned that as they passed through transonic, he said they saw both ailerons deflect upward a bit.

Island_flyer

=CELERA 500/1000 L looks better !
The Celera seems like a great accomplishment, developed with their own money so far. But with a pusher engine they could easily have designed it with great visibility forward. There isn't any. The pilot can see up and just a little to the sides. The Lear Fan was a lot better in that regard. Well, most jets are, too.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
The Celera seems like a great accomplishment, developed with their own money so far. But with a pusher engine they could easily have designed it with great visibility forward. There isn't any. The pilot can see up and just a little to the sides. The Lear Fan was a lot better in that regard. Well, most jets are, too.
I’m not too sure about that. I’ve seen sports cars that look like they have no visibility (either foreword, backward or both), yet when you sit in them, you find out you can still see out.

vhhjr

HBA Supporter

EzyBuildWing

New exotic X-plane LearFan.....looks sensational for a 4-seater pusher, but obviously needs a MagniX 280 HP electric-motor and some batteries to excite Venture Capitalists who'd then trip over themselves to bank-roll its development and propel it into the 21st Century as the answer to everyone's green-dreams.......take a look:

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
that would be the XB-70 which never entered service and the A-12 which only served in one exclusive arm of the military. So, exactly the same as Concorde?
Although the A-12s were often flown by Air Force pilots, they actually belonged to the CIA. The Air Force version was the YF-12, which was replaced with the SR-71.

I have to cite two aircraft already mentioned here, the Beech Starship and the B-1.

Doran Jaffas

I don't think I've ever heard an easy riser called beautiful but I'll be darned! You're right! I remember when they were brand new on the scene. Showing my age there but I still like them. Never flown one but would like to sometime.

geraldmorrissey

I worked on the origional Learfan project. Lots of investors tripped over themselves to throw money at us. Everyone lost all their money. Beech then hired a bunch of us to develop the Starship. Another loser. I was beginning to think my place in life was to close airplane plants.
Gerry