Most Beautiful Aircraft Ever Built

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
As far as certified aircraft, the Transavia Airtruk must be the ugliest.

View attachment 118315

I think it might have been posted in this thread a while back.
What are you talking about? With an empty weight of 1700 pounds and a maximum gross of 4000 this is gotta be one of the most beautiful airplanes ever built!

Appowner

What are you talking about? With an empty weight of 1700 pounds and a maximum gross of 4000 this is gotta be one of the most beautiful airplanes ever built!
Mad Max sure liked them.

I'll never get to it but it has always been in my bucket list of RC models I'd like to do. Bet it's a hoot to fly!

PMD

Didn't have time to see all 31 pages, so forgive me if repeating, but: for me, it is a tossup between the Beech Duke and Aerostar 6xx series. In singles I tend to prefer the SM 260 but there are a LOT of other contenders.

wingnutzster

For me anything LoPresti worked on or the Quickie and it's hard not to rate my own designs since what I am trying to achieve is aesthetic perfection at least in my eyes... but my personal favourite production aircraft is the PC-12 - everything Pilatus makes is stunning as far as I am concerned, from a functioning aerodynamics and form meeting function point of view they tickle me in the right spot. This one is one I painted and retrimmed

Attachments

Riggerrob

Initially I thought the guy at about the mid-fuselage position was the pilot, and wondered if he flew by Braille.
But it appears there's another person (or two?) sitting right at the nose under the leading edge.
Dude!
You are thinking about the Lloyd Luftkruzer where the pilot had zero forward visibility ... past the front, upper gunner.

Riggerrob

"
... In singles I tend to prefer the SM 260 but there are a LOT of other contenders.
"

Agreed!
I have only flown in a Savio-Marchetti once, but it is as beautiful from the inside. Handling is superb. It flies exactly where you point it. Control forces are firm, but precise and it responds instantly to control inputs. We even did a barrel roll ... after burning off enough fuel. The canopy also provides great visibility in all directions. The high-light of my flight was learning about Swiss glaciers, but I did not have the heart to tell the owner-pilot.
Stelio Frati only knew how to design beautiful airplanes.