• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Mechanical Engineering vs. Mechanical Engineering Technology Programs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris In Marshfield

Staff member
Supporting Member
Hi all,

To be smarter, and to be more informed on my project -- and potentially reconfigure my lot in life -- I'm considering becoming an ME. Mainly because I don't have close-by access to an AE program, there are several nearby ME programs from which to choose that have my interest.

Two nearby universities offer programs that interest me. One direction down the highway, I have a Mechanical Engineering program. The other direction up the highway has a Mechanical Engineering Technology program. After reading both program descriptions, the MET program is positioned as a good opportunity for a hands-on person like myself. A friend of mine with a BSME pontificates that I might be disappointed with a BSMET because I'd likely miss a lot of the math and other in-depth things that designers value. But on the flip side, I'm not designing a fast-glass, supersonic fighter, either. All the things that interest me are pretty conventional, and even border on vintage designs.

As I move forward with my airplane project, while I am confident that my choices are good ones from collaborating with other more experienced folks, I think I'll feel best when I can validate my choices are 100% correct through math and the like. Do those of you with experience with either course of instruction have any opinions on the matter?

Best regards,
Chris

Back