Quantcast

LSA Weight to be 3600 Pounds soon !!!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

TFF

That’s the best way, completely be out of the system. Do anything more and you have acknowledged there is a system. Hard to defend that.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
About 50 years ago, I met a man working on his Luscombe at a grass field airport. 30 years latter he was flying his C-310 all over the U.S. Never had a license. Finally he wanted to haul skydivers so he decided to get his private license.

JamesF

What qualifies as an LSA aircraft? I know that there is an approved list including J3 Cubs, Aeronca, etc. I have also seen ads for homebuilts claiming suitability as LSAs. I have ordered partial materials to begin a T100D Mariah UL.
The Mariah is designed to FAA FAR Part 23 airworthiness standards. The engine used on the original was a Cuyuna 20 HP. I’m building with a V-twin industrial engine which will turn my copy into a fat UL that will mean that I will have to license it as an expiremental. Can I then fly it with a Sport Pilot license?
James

Wanttaja

What qualifies as an LSA aircraft? I know that there is an approved list including J3 Cubs, Aeronca, etc. I have also seen ads for homebuilts claiming suitability as LSAs.
There's two "flavors" of this. The FAA has the definition of "Light Sport Aircraft" in 14CFR Part 1. ANY aircraft meeting the definition, regardless of certification, can be flown by a Sport Pilot. Meeting the Light Sport definition does NOT affect the certification category of the airplane; Normal Category aircraft must still receive annual inspections from a A&P with an IA, Experimental Amateur-Built aircraft must still have a yearly conditional inspection performed by the original builder (assuming he/she has a Repairman Certificate for THAT aircraft) or an A&P.
sportpilot.jpg
In addition, the FAA has two certification categories relating to Light Sport Aircraft. There are Special Light Sport Aircraft, which are production LSAs (SLSAs), and Experimental Light Sport Aircraft (ELSAs), which (for the most part) are built from kits based on the design of a SLSA.

If a plane is licensed SLSA or ELSA, different rules regarding maintenance and annual inspections apply. But again, these rules do NOT apply to other types of aircraft that meet the Part 1 Light Sport definition.

The Mariah is designed to FAA FAR Part 23 airworthiness standards. The engine used on the original was a Cuyuna 20 HP. I’m building with a V-twin industrial engine which will turn my copy into a fat UL that will mean that I will have to license it as an expiremental. Can I then fly it with a Sport Pilot license?
If it meets the criteria shown in the above drawing, the answer is "yes."

Ron Wanttaja

Mad MAC

Apparently one of the airspace intrusions for the London Olympics was some farmer who had no licence and an unregistered Cessna 150 which he used to fly between a pair of farms he owned for something like 20 years.

Yellowhammer

Same here, this guy, long gone now, kept his J5 Cub in a shed next to his country store, when he wanted to fly, he would taxie onto the hwy. and take off. He never completed his PPL, used auto gas with no STC and I don't think a mechanic ever laid hands on the plane.
Bob

Sounds like my kind of guy!

Yellowhammer

Sounds like my kind of guy!

The second time I ever flew was with a farmer that was the same type of guy. I don't even know what type of plane it was. All I remember was it was red and a high wing and he could fly the hell out of it.

Yellowhammer

I wish they would lift the restriction for the fixed landing gear. It would allow us much more options as builders.

Victor Bravo

I wish they would lift the restriction for the fixed landing gear. It would allow us much more options as builders.
Oh that's no problem. All you have to do is take a blood vow, now and forever, to give your mind, your heart, and your mortal soul to soaring and sailplanes.

And just like magic, that gear retraction lever is in your hands... :)

Yellowhammer

OK. Fair enough. I see your Hyperbolic Fallacy charge and raise you one Red Herring.
Straw Man Argument: A subtype of the red herring, this fallacy includes any lame attempt to "prove" an argument by overstating, exaggerating, or over-simplifying the arguments of the opposing side.
A single adjective gets all the attention and is then followed by an exaggerated, personalized and inaccurate call for "how can we trust anything else they say"? Gosh.. He may even LIE.

All the while...The substantive point is still left begging. Is "Light Sport" a failure?

Does a call for correct use of terms have no merit? Doesn't a lack of fairness and accuracy about Light Sport Aircraft and Sport Pilot certificates deserve a response? Sweeping critical statements and incorrect use of terms is not problematic?

What is really important here?
Correct use of terms is always important.

Yellowhammer

Oh that's no problem. All you have to do is take a blood vow, now and forever, to give your mind, your heart, and your mortal soul to soaring and sailplanes.

And just like magic, that gear retraction lever is in your hands... :)

I would love to. I think it makes a better pilot.

cblink.007

Sleep apnea which he was hitting everyone with. All I can tell you is if you can sleep with the stuff on you, you have sleep apnea.
Didn't you get the memo? CPAP machines are the latest fad!!

In all seriousness, when I was retiring from the military, everybody was pushing for a sleep apnea "diagnosis". Anyone who receives such a "diagnosis" gets 50% disability. The VA physician was hustling it, and was willing to rubber stamp it. I refused his pre-completed diagnosis report. Total fraud. I filed a complaint with the VA Inspector General and my Congressman. Total silence. Who knew? This is American Tax Dollars at work!!

But I do agree with you. Finding a DME close to you is tough. Finding one that can do First Class physicals is even tougher!

Victor Bravo

Didn't you get the memo? CPAP machines are the latest fad!!
On balance, I'm pretty sure that ridiculous little machine saved my bacon. Even though I gave up my wicked ways, said goodbye to candy bars and pizza, and lost 30 or 40 pounds of blubber.... I still sleep a lot lot lot better with it.

I can imagine it's not the sexiest thing for a girl to see a guy using in the bedroom. But neither is a coffin.

cblink.007

On balance, I'm pretty sure that ridiculous little machine saved my bacon. Even though I gave up my wicked ways, said goodbye to candy bars and pizza, and lost 30 or 40 pounds of blubber.... I still sleep a lot lot lot better with it.

I can imagine it's not the sexiest thing for a girl to see a guy using in the bedroom. But neither is a coffin.
Very true. Certainly not disputing the effectiveness of the system as it helps those who legitimately need it. But the VA has a terrible tendency to mass-diagnose every soldier going out the door with sleep apnea...without the hassle of sleep studies and such, whether or not they actually have the condition! They VA doctor tried pulling the same stunt with me on my way out! All I sought was the ratings for my busted hip and three weeks on the ground as a guest at a place called Chernobyl!

cblink.007

3600lbs you say?

Dar-am, my Raptor missed out by just 10 lbs..
It is actually over 2700 pounds IAW 21.24(a)(1)(ii)? I don't watch much of the videos, but wow. I'm no attorney, but I understand that 2700 lbs is the limit for an aircraft built from a kit, and, although the Raptor will ultimately be built from a kit, the prototype, for all intents and purposes, was not. Which would explain why he hasn't been busted by your friendly FDSO rep.

The main list with associated subparts, namely 21.191, 21.193, 21.195: