Quantcast

LSA Weight to be 3600 Pounds soon !!!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Received this from a friend today, apparently the FAA has confirmed previous AOPA and EAA reports that the LSA weight limit will likely be raised quite a bit.

I don't know about you guys, but the value of my 63 year old plain vanilla Cessna 172 just went up by about 50% :)

https://www.avweb.com/ownership/lsa-weight-limit-increasing-to-3600-pounds-updated?sfns=mo
That's the article we talked about a year ago, right? Is there an update on the status of the rule?

cheapracer

Log Member
If they went to 700kgs+/1550lbs+, LSA could be safer and cheaper.

Australia is talking about 760kgs/1670lbs, but I think they are standing on the FAA's coat-tails to see if they pull the trigger first.

Speedboat100

If they went to 700kgs+/1550lbs+, LSA could be safer and cheaper.

Australia is talking about 760kgs/1670lbs, but I think they are standing on the FAA's coat-tails to see if they pull the trigger first.

Why would it be cheaper ?

gtae07

The FAA does seem to gone rather quiet on this front.
Based on my conversations with an EAA high-up early this year, apparently this is to be expected. He said the FAA had been gathering input for a while, but then it would go into a "rulemaking phase"--essentially, they go dark and have a closed session, of sorts, where they draft up and internally review the proposed regs before releasing them to the public for comment. During that time they don't talk about it or discuss it, and don't accept public comment.

I was told to expect that this might last several months, and my own gut feel says not to expect it to be released for comment until mid-2020 or so.

pwood66889

In this regard, may I offer the cautionary tale of a friend of mine. He was president of a well-known Kit manufacturer, and kept telling the corporate powers that "Light Sport" aircraft would be approved "Any Day Now" by the US FAA. Then they would be in the Catbirds Seat with the designs they had. Didn't happen before he was fired. Bad Things happened to him and his family when they had no money coming in... :)

Will Aldridge

Log Member
In this regard, may I offer the cautionary tale of a friend of mine. He was president of a well-known Kit manufacturer, and kept telling the corporate powers that "Light Sport" aircraft would be approved "Any Day Now" by the US FAA. Then they would be in the Catbirds Seat with the designs they had. Didn't happen before he was fired. Bad Things happened to him and his family when they had no money coming in... :)
I was only just becoming aware of the goings on in general aviation about 2005. Just curious when the first whispers about lsa were heard and when the final rule went into effect?

TFF

92 or 94 I saw in Sport Aviation the first attempt which was Recreational Pilot, enacted 97, with planes of the day Kitfox IV and RV6 and Rans being pushed as the way to go. Belly flop. LSA as we know it almost popped out of thin air. Unexpected in the US. It fixed a couple of issues the government had not the pilots.

So we got LSA and Recreational along with Basic Medical all attempting to only give parts to what is wanted, no medical for Private. That’s why I hate when they mess with the system. There is two and a half setups that still don’t equal the one we want. Instead of less is more; the government can only work in the direction of more makes less.

I get people who can’t get a medical want to go LSA, but reality it’s a small group. The wish group is big, but money where the mouth is is still small. Those few don’t offset the US numbers 6000 LSA, 100,000 PPL. 15,000 US airports to 5000 for the rest of the world. No matter how they change the rules, it will leave out someone.

Oh yea my last medical, the DR wanted to fail me on a number of things That were small like older prescription glasses as I forgot to update before I went. Sleep apnea which he was hitting everyone with. All I can tell you is if you can sleep with the stuff on you, you have sleep apnea. You can fake the real instruments. Unless you were athlete shape he became over the top. None like that on the previous ones from him. Others have had the same complaints. So I’m shopping and need to eat cleaner for when I find someone not so out there. No DR I know is willing to sign Basic because there seems some negative feedback from the lost business of Flight Surgeons scaring the regular DRs; they seem to be told don’t dabble in someone else’s specialty.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
As I recall, LSA rule took almost 10 years. 1994-2004.

Recreational Pilot was established 1989:
[Aug 31, 1989: FAA established the new pilot category of recreational pilot, requiring less training than a private pilot certificate. The agency intended the new category for pilots interested in flying basic, experimental, or homebuilt aircraft in close proximity to a home airport in which communication with air traffic control facilities was not required. At the same time, FAA established a required annual flight review for non-instrument-rated private pilots with less than 400 flight hours. ]
source: FAA History here https://www.faa.gov/about/history/chronolog_history/media/b-chron.pdf

Last edited:

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Recreation pilot and Primary category airplane was a great deal. Too bad it was not promoted.
I'd have to agree with regard to the aircraft. What has been proposed for changes to LSA sound a lot like the old Primary category.
I made a halfhearted attempt a decade ago to get an ASTM committee formed to set standards for Primary in the same way as was done for LSA. I got the impression at the time that various factions within the FAA were resistant to the idea. IMHO it still makes a lot of sense.