• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Low cost acro birds?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingerprint

Hi. I just started looking at homebuilts & could use input/advice on possible acro-capable birds that would meet the following criteria: 1) fly-away cost < $20K; 2) plans-built; 3) easy enough for a first-time builder & 4) folding/removable wings. Everything else is probably negotiable. I’m hoping that “acro” & “low cost” are not mutually exclusive. A bird with a reasonable roll rate (~100 deg/sec?) that could get thru a loop without falling out on top would be good for anything I might want to do. No negative g stuff. A bird capable of milder acro but not verticals might be OK if that’s all my budget allows.

The $20K cost bogie appears to eliminate the kits (no Sonex, Zodiak, Murphy, Vans, etc.) & narrows engine options to the lower hp range (65-100). Of the designs I’ve seen so far, the KR-1, Sonerai I & Corby Starlet look like they might meet my criteria and I’m hoping I can get some feedback on them. Can they handle basic +g acro with typical engines? Are they suitable projects for a novice builder? Are there others I should look at? Any comments or suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Back