Large Guy Vs. Light Plane...

Discussion in 'The light stuff area' started by Standin, Aug 29, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 31, 2019 #21

Charles_says

Charles_says

Charles_says

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

What you said originally
    No there isn't that's where you are confused. I'll say it once more
    Sport pilot refers to the airman.
    there is no weight limit for a pilot

Light sport refers to the aircraft itself, with a max weight
    of 1320 lbs.

I think what you are meaning, and correct me if I'm wrong,
    is that ....
    Under "BasicMed", private pilots can fly as pilot in command of aircraft authorized to carry up to six occupants and weighing up to 6,000 pounds maximum certificated takeoff weight; carry up to five passengers; fly within the United States day or night, VFR or IFR; at altitudes up to 18,000 feet msl;

That's not sport pilot, or light sport.

With a private pilot License, you can fly a light Sport aircraft as Pilot in command without a certifying medical. You're still a private pilot, But operating under Sport pilot rules.

Oh..., and BTW, you self certify every single time you fly. (Think IMSAFE, cause it's what that is)

Well gee! I don't know how much more "rock Solid you can get than originally posting the exact wording of the regulation.

2. Aug 31, 2019 #22

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

ok then Dennis but if he cracks one up and gets busted don't say he wasn't warned,
    If he can fly with his particular heart condition, and i am not an AME so don't know then he would be able to get a 3rd class medical and then this discussion is moot just get a good cessna 172 that will haul him and a friend or two no problem. If it would keep him from getting a 3rd class medical then again this discussion is moot. Another suggestion would be to call your local FSDO and see what their take on it is, since i've found the ruling may vary from one to another

3. Aug 31, 2019 #23

Charles_says

Charles_says

Charles_says

Just to include those that may not be too sure of this:

IMSAFE
    is the Aeronautical Information Manual's recommended mnemonic for aircraft pilots to use to assess their fitness to fly.[1]

The mnemonic is:

• Illness - Is the pilot suffering from any illness or symptom of an illness which might affect them in flight?
    • Medication - Is the pilot currently taking any drugs (prescription or over-the-counter)?
    • Stress - Is the pilot overly worried about other factors in his life? The psychological pressures of everyday living can be a powerful distraction and consequently affect a pilot's performance.
    • Alcohol - Although legal limits vary by jurisdiction (0.04 BAC, any consumption in the past 8 hours or current impairment in the USA[2]), the pilot should consider their alcohol consumption within the last 8 to 24 hours.
    • Fatigue - Has the pilot had sufficient sleep and adequate nutrition?
    • Emotion - Has the pilot fully recovered from any extremely upsetting events such as the loss of a family member?

cdlwingnut likes this.
  4. Aug 31, 2019 #24

Charles_says

Charles_says

Charles_says

All heart conditions are not unsafe.
    With Congestive Heart failure (CHF) for instance, it can be controlled with medications that are allowed by the FAA.

I know people that were born with Congenital heart disease, and lived happy healthy lives till their demise at age 89.

It all depends on the personal case.

5. Aug 31, 2019 #25

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

Anyone notice that the OP has bowed out of the discussion ?
    No ?.....Just me ?

Kevin

6. Aug 31, 2019 #26

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Yeah, that's why I said "known unsafe medical condition". Like most FAR's, interpretation is needed by an Advisory Ciircular.
    Such as a definition or a list of "unsafe medical conditions". I suppose the list for a drivers license might suffice for LSA privileges.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    Charles_says likes this.
  7. Aug 31, 2019 #27

Charles_says

Charles_says

Charles_says

@ BBerson. agreed.

I was referencing another posting... Must have been carried away.... :)

8. Aug 31, 2019 #28

rdj

rdj

rdj

The OP shows his location as 'Pensacola, Florida'. My guess is the OP is hunkering down or high-tailing it out of the way of this weekend's Hurricane Dorian.

In the meantime, this thread is drifting away like an unmoored boat :)

9. Aug 31, 2019 #29

BJC

BJC

BJC

The forecast is looking good for Pensacola, and has improved significantly for me. https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at5+shtml/024334.shtml?cone#contents I did test run the generator yesterday, and the Honda engine started, as it always has, on the first pull.

BJC

Charles_says likes this.
  10. Aug 31, 2019 #30

Standin

Standin

Standin

OP Here! Sorry about the delay I've been on Grandpa-Babysitting duty 12 hours a day (with the wife's help). (Daughter is going thru a messy divorce, her Hubby found a newer model) I thought the Heart attack was bad LOL. I honestly did not expect the volume of interest! I'm humbled.

11. Aug 31, 2019 #31

Standin

Standin

Standin

A little about my goals, I just wish to fly a few hours on weekends. As far as a profile, I'm 61 yrs of age. I was working on the general pilot license before the Heart attack. I now have an 30-35 ejection faction. My wife says the only way I'll fly is to buy a ticket and look out a window. She's an RN and the only reason I'm alive.

I've lost 40lbs! But I cannot seem to lose any more. Its the lack of exercise, In Pensacola the Heat is hard on heart. I'm not really fat, my shoulders are 28 wide! I'm just a big guy, sort of a bear shape not a pair shape. LOL . I was working on a Bearhawk from plans. I owned a full wood and metal shop before the heart attack. Then sold/gave most of it away. I was a "little" depressed after early retirement, losing the House and acre of land, shop, and a lot of dreams. But I started reading more and getting informed. I really envy you and the talent on the site. I've been a little scared to post anything really.

And before I forget, Thanks for the encouragement!

Standin

12. Aug 31, 2019 #32

Standin

Standin

Standin

Standin Here!

No worries about the drifting off topic, maybe I should've titled it "Can a Fat Guy Fly!"

13. Aug 31, 2019 #33

Standin

Standin

Standin

"Testing the Modern Seat Structure limits."
    "Airheads in Open Cockpits"

Please remember I'm only making fun of myself... Not anyone else

Charles_says likes this.
  14. Aug 31, 2019 #34

Dennis DeFrange

Dennis DeFrange

Dennis DeFrange

Active Member HBA Supporter

Hey Standin , hope this informational debate has helped you in your decision making and future aviation experiences . It can get very confusing because of the format is not totally clear . I've studied and followed this subject for around 10 years or since the EAA and AOPA battled with the FAA and convinced all of those in charge to cut a little slack for those of us that are not comfortable with the system , as it is . I don't claim to know everything especially with the way that every time you look around something changes . If you're not an EAA member , I suggest that you join because the organization is definately up to date and will always answer your questions as well as provide information on their website that covers this and any aviation issues . Your safety as well as those effected by anything aviation is always their number one priority . You stated that this is your first post . That is what this forum was created for so , Welcome aboard and thanx for your post . I've learned as well . Thanx to all .

Charles_says likes this.
  15. Aug 31, 2019 #35

Charles_says

Charles_says

Charles_says

Dennis, sorry to seem so hard on you, but there is so much misinformation out there, I just had to try to clear some of it up.
    I'm positive you felt what you were saying was correct.
    But that is one of the problems with mis-info. It gets passed around as fact so often, that people start believing it as fact, when truth be told it isnt.
    Hopefully you'll understand my position.
    And You're Welcome! :)

16. Aug 31, 2019 #36

Dennis DeFrange

Dennis DeFrange

Dennis DeFrange

Active Member HBA Supporter

Standin , I'm 69 years old , didn't have a heart attack but caught the problem early and got sawed in half with a 3 artery graph . That was 15 years ago . I weigh in at 240 an somehow still standing at 5' 10'' . Not a fat guy but like yourself just a pretty big kid . I've gone through several stress test's , walking and nuclear , several echo'o and whatever else they can throw at me and have never , to this day had any negative results but there is no way that I'm going to approach a flight medical application . My cardiologist said totally fit to fly but NO AEROBATICS , so what do I do , I bought 2 Smith MiniPlane projects . When it comes time to fly the Smith , I will get time with a credible instructor in a Pitts . I do not intend to do anything but fly around in a biplane with my nose in the wind and an occasional loop or roll , if the checkout in the Pitts deems me fit . Chances of me hurting someone else is very slim . I totally consider the safety of others before my own . Doesn't seem fair that when you and your family are traveling in your family vehicle that death is only 8 feet away in the other lane every time a truck driver passes in the opposite direction . I've noticed a large number of those guy's in pretty sad physical condition but all they have to do is get their blood pressure checked and if they declare that they take blood pressure med's all they have to to do is pay their $100.00 and , see ya next year . And now legalizing Marijuana . I'll take my chances of you falling out of the sky on me anytime over that . And think about it , there is a huge percentage of the population around us that are not aware of the blockage that they , the lucky ones figure it out . And flying an airplane is dangerous . That's enough from me , super responses . You have made new friends .

17. Aug 31, 2019 #37

Charles_says

Charles_says

Charles_says

Standin, The only medically related person that can say if you'll fly again, is the AME in OK. City.
    You'll never know, unless you apply for a special Issuance Medical.

I know someone that thought the same way,
    after going thru a Triple Bypass, a 20% loss of heart muscle to scarring, and an ejection fraction of 30%.
    And yes, He passed the OK City requirements.

A good friend said to him,
    "Whats the worst they can say?" (answer was : NO!)
    "Does that put you in any different place than you are now?" he answered that, too, with a no.
    Well, you have to answer that, for yourself, in your situation.

Yes, you'll have to take a stress test, annually but that's only the price of a tank or two of 100LL! (poetic license) Big deal!
    You'll have to perhaps make some lifestyle changes, This fellow I speak of went full bore, with a diet and muscle building regimen, (with a Dr's overview) designed to strengthen his heart. and he actually made it!
    If you really want to go PPL, you may have to do more than you now do.

Here is what the FAA requires for the BasicMed , earlier spoken of. It is in plain English, and covers all the requirements.

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/basic_med/

And as Dennis said, Speak with your own doctor. If you are well enough to drive a car, you are well enough to fly.

And don't be concerned about what happens a year from now... you could get hit by a falling airbus before that!

Chin up, and Keep on truckin!

18. Aug 31, 2019 #38

TFF

TFF

TFF

The first question should be answered, do you have a license? That will direct you which way to go.

If yes, but have not had a medical since health problems, sport pilot requires nothing but correct airplane that passes sport pilot rules. The other option is basic medical. You have a any doctor game examine and sign form and you can fly using your ppl. If doctor will not sign back to sport pilot.

If you do not have a license and never had a previous medical. Sport pilot is the only way you can get a license without doctor intervention. If you had a past medical at any time, you have to get one to finish your license sport pilot or PPL.
    I don’t know how glider license falls with lost medical.

The rest is UL.

19. Sep 1, 2019 #39

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator Staff Member

Having had a license doesn't matter.

If you've never had a medical or passed your most recent one, you can fly as a sport pilot and fly light-sport aircraft.

If you had a failed or deferred medical, sport pilot is not an option.

If you have passed a medical after 2006, you are eligible for basicmed. Your regular doctor (doesn't have to be an aviation medical examiner) can sign you off for that.

If you're not eligible for sport pilot or basicmed, you can still fly [only] gliders or ultralights.

20. Sep 1, 2019 #40

Pops

Pops

Pops

I'm 79 years old and had stint put in my heart when I was 70 years old and in good health. As been 8 years since the stint , my doctor wanted a stress test about 10 months ago. Everything great. I'm 6'x 235 lbs. 30 # heaver than when I was 14 years old.
    There is not very many homebuilts built for big pilots and I have 2 grandsons that are 6' 4" and 6' 5" and 250/260 lbs, so I designed my JMR Special for my grandsons. Will take up to 300 lbs with full fuel tanks and no baggage. Any weight under 300 lbs can be baggage. Lots of leg and head room and 28" wide cockpit, single place.
    https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/threads/jmr-special-project-my-design.16195/

BTW Dennis-- The only airplane I ever ground looped was a Smith Mini-Plane when I was a student pilot in about 1970. No damage , just my pride and grass stains.