Lancaster Bomber?

Discussion in 'Warbirds / Warbird Replicas' started by PythonProject, May 21, 2013.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 21, 2013 #1

PythonProject

PythonProject

PythonProject

As you see will see I'm quite new to the forums and quite young I will admit but has no one ever considered or at least attempted to get the plans for a lancaster bomber or am I not thinking straight?

2. May 22, 2013 #2

Radicaldude1234

Radicaldude1234

Radicaldude1234

You can always write to the Smithsonian or whomever owns Avro these days. For original drawings, the best source would be the blueprint collections put together and auctioned ebay:

Lancaster Plans Avro Blueprints Drawings RAF WW2 Aircraft | eBay

Avro Lancaster Aircraft Blueprints Engineering Drawings - Download

Be warned, though, as these drawings can be rather haphazardly "organized" and confusing.

3. Oct 5, 2013 #3

Southron

Southron

Southron

Building a 1/3 scale [for example] Lancaster would be a time consuming and money consuming project. Check out this 1/3 scale B-17G:

TheBallyBomber.com | HOME

Building that airplane took years of very skilled and hard work.

GOOD LUCK IF YOU DECIDE YOU WANT TO BUILD YOUR LANCASTER

4. Oct 5, 2013 #4

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

I would expect that modern techniques (notably CAD and scanned drawings) can bring down that building time down to little more than a complex scratch-built homebuilt? Still a 5-digit build time...

5. Oct 6, 2013 #5

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Tried something similar with the Boeing 747, once.

A while back, I went and toured the 747 assembly plant in Everett, Washington. The Boeing 747 is a fantastic airplane, surely a marvel of our age. I was so impressed that I thought, "Hey, I wonder if *I* could build one of these?" So I went up to the tour guide and asked her if plans of the 747 were available.

"They sure are," she said.

"Great! How much?"

"Five hundred big ones."

Hey, I thought. Heck, Falco plans cost almost five hundred bucks, and here I'd be able to carry a lot more passengers a lot faster. So I handed over my AMEX gold card and went home with a complete set of gen-u-wine construction drawings for a Boeing 747-421.

Two days latter, I was sweeping my shop, getting ready for the big project. Not that it *really* needed cleaning, of course, but I figured the 747 would take a few clecos, and sweeping the floor is a good way to gather up the loose ones.

Anyway, a Fedex truck drove up, with a statement from American Express. I nearly flipped. The plans for the 747 weren't five *hundred* dollars...Boeing had charged me *$500,000*!!!!!! I mean, heck, the plans came in a nice set of a dozen mahogany file cabinets, but that doesn't make them worth half a million dollars.

I immediately called Boeing, of course. I offered to return them. "Uh-uh," they said. "How do we know you haven't been running Xerox (tm) copies for the last couple of days? If we take the plans back, that doesn't mean you won't be taxiing a brand new Wanttaja 747 out of your garage two years from now, won't it?"

I coulda died! I settled down on the couch, stunned. It was just like the time I'd bought the Mrs. Field's recipe, and the Red Velvet Cake one before that. HOW can these companies keep taking advantage of the hard-working American consumer?

But then it hit me: Heh, heh, I'll get back at Boeing, the same way I got my revenge on the cookie people: I'll POST the entire construction plans to the Internet!

So here is Part 1 of 17,321 on "Building Your Own 747":

For Part 1, you will need:

100,000 sq. ft of .040 Aluminum, alloy 7075T-6 2,000 gallons of BMS-142 Alodyne 40,000 Scotch-Brite (tm) pads 1 American French Pumper Truck, 500-gallon capacity 1 GMC Trent Division Street Sweeper, Model ST-401 1 pair tin snips 55 Gallons rubber cement You'll also need a large, flat area (preferably indoors) about 400 feet square. If outdoors, you want REALLY short grass. Note: When buying the aluminum, make sure your rolls are *at least 12-feet wide*. DO NOT let the vendor supply you with 12-inch-wide rolls! These are for gutters.

Step 1: Lay the Aluminum flat in the working area

Step 2: Attach the Scotch-Brite (tm) pads to the buffers on the GMC Sweeper.

Step 3: Drive the sweeper over the aluminum, buffing to a dull sheen. Replace the Pads as necessary

Step 4: Load the alodyning solution into the Fire Truck

Step 5: Let stand 25 minutes

Step 6: Flush the alodyne off with tap water, let dry

Step 7: Flip the aluminum over (you may want to have a friend help) and repeat.

Step 8: Print out the part layout diagram included at the end of this posting.

Step 9: Paste the layout diagram to the aluminum using the rubber cement.

Step 10: Cut the parts out using the tin snips.

Next week: Part 2 covers corrosion proofing. Keep your eyes open for used cattle troughs, etc, to help apply the zinc chromate.

Ron Wanttaja

----------------------------------------------------------------------

PARTS LAYOUT PATTERN: The following pages will print out the outline of all the .040" aluminum parts for the 747 on the standard output. Numbers are printed in the corners of each page... tape the pages together, overlapping the appropriate numbers. ACCURACY IN THIS PHASE IS VITALLY IMPORTANT! Part numbers are also included.
    ==============================CUT TO THIS LINE==========================
    1 2
    |-------------------------------------------------| |-----------
    | Part D545-70021 Port Outer Rib #1 | |
    | | | Part D54
    | | |
    |SYSTEM TIMEOUT ERROR...PRINTOUT ABORTED...#%*(@########

fly2kads, Pops, skier and 3 others like this.
  6. Oct 6, 2013 #6

skier

skier

skier

That's come quite a ways since I last saw it. Any idea on timing of the first flight?

7. Oct 6, 2013 #7

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

They did build a half-scale Short Stirling bomber, before finalizing the design for the full scale version. It had 4 Pobjoy engines. [​IMG]

8. Oct 6, 2013 #8

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Those man-carrying scale aircraft are cool! There some amphibian and seaplanes that were done in scale first. The ultimate in uncomputational fluid dynamic modeling!

9. Oct 7, 2013 #9

Jon Ferguson

Jon Ferguson

Jon Ferguson

I've always dreamed of building a scaled down de Havilland Dragon Rapide Dragon Rapide. Ahh dreams. I think it would make a pretty sweet four seater for family trips.

10. Oct 8, 2013 #10

AVI

AVI

AVI

11. Oct 12, 2013 #11

vhhjr

vhhjr

vhhjr