Quantcast

Homebuilt ultralights suitable for unmodified paramotor engines?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Mike Sandlin has amply demonstrated with his pusher biplane Bloop series of ultralights that a paramotor engine can power a fixed-wing Part 103 ultralight.

Nov%202019%20FF%20taxi[1].jpg

Tractor configuration is very appealing in an ultralight because it makes it easier to account for the variable weight of the pilot. The problem is that the cooling system and drive bearings of a paramotor installation don't always like tractor mounting without modification.

So my question is, other than Bloop, are there any kit- or plans-built Part 103 ultralights out there suitable for using an unmodified paramotor engine in a pusher configuration?

Cheers,

Matthew

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Yes, Quicksilver, Easy Riser, CGS Hawk, Kolb Firefly, and many many others. Most of these airplanes were flyable on the Rotax 277, so the Simonini / Polini 36 HP engines would make them into a rocket ship.

Forgive me for repeating myself on this one tidbit, but a Kolb Firefly with the 36HP Polini engine... with one or two very minor airframe tweaks and fine-tuning hacks, would represent a very usable, store-able, reliable, and high performing airplane.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Your bigger problem will simply be obtaining a paramotor engine without buying the entire powered parachute package. Most of the dealers that I've looked at are only interested in selling the latter - they're not interested in individual engine sales. You'd probably have better luck going directly to the OEM manufacturer.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Perhaps I should have specified *readily available* plans and kits since some of the designs mentioned are not, and as many would probably guess I am more interested in plans.

Topaz, dealers like Aerolight advertise engine prices, are you saying they won’t honor the order if it’s just an engine?

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
The three-axis Ritz was very flawed, it killed the designer and almost killed Eric Clutton. The original two-axis one was fine and I could see something like that working out well. Still, the point of this thread was suitable plans or kits available right now.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
The Ritz suffered an inflight structural failure if I am remembering the right story. May not be a good airplane to choose.

HBA member Dana had an Ultrastar, I'm sure he will give you first hand knowledge and advice that the rest of us cannot. The Firefly is the improved version of the Ultrastar, and has features that were well worth changing IIRC.

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
Plans for ultralights are, at least in the US, a little thin on the ground. VULA used to have lots of them that were legit, I.E. Scott had permission to reprint them. VULA has a Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/514826428669199

Apparently if you fire an E-mail at Home they will sell you Beaujon's book.

Last edited:

Tiger Tim

Would there be much rocket science in modifying a paramotor for a tractor prop? Could it be as simple as flipping a couple tapered bearings around?

Peer Ebbighausen

Log Member
Polini has a rep in Minnesota who will sell just the engine, as well as any parts you might need. You can also buy Polini engines from Badland Aircraft (I believe). Check their website. Badland uses the on their ULs in a tractor configuration.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Please correct me if you feel inclined, isn't the advertised weight of the "Flyer" 185lbs and flying weight was with 170lb "standard" pilot and 2 1/2 gallon tank?