Quantcast

Homebuilt ultralights suitable for unmodified paramotor engines?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
Would there be much rocket science in modifying a paramotor for a tractor prop? Could it be as simple as flipping a couple tapered bearings around?
You'd have to know HOW the bearings are arranged and mounted in the "driven" bits. It could be non-trivial. If the driven shaft is set up with TWO tapered roller bearings, one on each end, opposing each other (which I was taught in Mechanical Engineering school many years ago is the best way to use tapered roller bearings), you need do NOTHING, and apparently the Polini is set up this way, but NOT the Vitorazzi. IF the predominant thrust you're trying to resist is from ONE direction, you can economize and use a roller taper thrust bearing on one end, and a ball bearing on the other. There are lots of other ways to do it, with radial needle bearings, sliding shoe bearings, boundary lubricated plain bearings, etc.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Clarification...we are talking about the bearings in the redrive, right? I can’t see how the bearings in the engine would need to resist significant thrust in either arrangement of the propeller is on the redrive.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
... Topaz, dealers like Aerolight advertise engine prices, are you saying they won’t honor the order if it’s just an engine?
I'm not saying definitively that none of them will, I'm just saying that, on every dealer (as opposed to manufacturer) website I've visited personally, the only option is to buy the entire powered parachute package. I've yet to see one that advertised paramotor engines as a separate "catalog" item. If you've found one that will, then hey, more power to you. I've seen OEM paramotor engine manufacturers that advertised consumer sales of engines, but lots of them seem to be moving to a dealer-only model. Just my personal experience.

You could approach dealers individually and see what kind of deal you could work. When push comes to shove, they may be willing to sell you just a motor, or they may have set up their inventory as matched sets and don't want to split them up. It's going to depend on the individual dealer.

Jsample40

Victor Bravo;
What engine/ reduction system are you using in your Ridge Runner?
I have just acquired a new Rotax 503 for mine, after experimenting with other, smaller, lower horsepower engines.

How is your project coming?
Jay

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
Clarification...we are talking about the bearings in the redrive, right?
I was being a little more broad than that, because I've been diving into thrust bearings on direct drive engines.
You are correct in that when there is a redrive involved, the bearings on the crankshaft/crankcase will see not prop thrust in any direction.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Victor Bravo;
What engine/ reduction system are you using in your Ridge Runner?
I have just acquired a new Rotax 503 for mine, after experimenting with other, smaller, lower horsepower engines.

How is your project coming?
Jay

Mine came with a 503 DCDI installed. It is still there now, and I do plan to fly it with that engine... either temporarily or permanently. When I get my O-100 engine from Pete, if the Ridge Runner is not doing what I want it to do using the 503 then I will upgrade to the O-100. If the RR is working perfectly with the 503 then I will find or build or buy or steal another airframe for the O-100.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter

Bille Floyd

Polini has a rep in Minnesota who will sell just the engine, as well as any parts you might need. You can also buy Polini engines from Badland Aircraft (I believe). Check their website. Badland uses the on their ULs in a tractor configuration.
YES -- Badland , "Will" sell ya Polini engine ; i already have
conformation from them, for a liquid cooled, 33-Hp, Thor 202
37-Lb pull start , (with a Good price) i might add !!

Bille

Attachments

Last edited: