Quantcast

Hogan's Heroes: Col. Klink's aeroplanes

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Aerowerx

On the Hogan's Heroes program, Col. Klink has 2 aircraft pictures hanging on the wall in his office.

One is a Heinkel which he flew earlier in WW2 (according to the fandom Canon), before becoming Kommandant of Stalag 13.

The other is a WW1 biplane which, by implication, he flew in WW1. What type of plane is it?

Kyle Boatright

HBA Supporter
On the Hogan's Heroes program, Col. Klink has 2 aircraft pictures hanging on the wall in his office.

One is a Heinkel which he flew earlier in WW2 (according to the fandom Canon), before becoming Kommandant of Stalag 13.

The other is a WW1 biplane which, by implication, he flew in WW1. What type of plane is it?
A biplane. ;-)

Seriously, a link to a picture would be helpful. I went on an unsuccessful Easter egg hunt looking for a picture that showed the airplanes, but I'm not going to make it my morning's work.

TFF

I don’t know but if I was writing the script it would be a Pfalz. All the German planes in Rocky and Bullwinkle were.

Wanttaja

I don’t know but if I was writing the script it would be a Pfalz. All the German planes in Rocky and Bullwinkle were.
Sorry, TFF, I don't believe that, it's "Pfalz News!" :)

Did the same sort of Google search that Kyle probably did; didn't see any shots of a biplane. The Heinkel 111, a group shot of people, one of Hitler, and two of planes going down in flames.

Klemperer was about 45 years old when the series was made, so that would have made Klink almost 20 in WWI. He did have a pickelhaube on his desk, which strongly implies he had been in the German military during the Great War. There were enough serving officers who had worn them in earnest; they'd likely take umbrage at Klink displaying a helmet that he'd never earned.

But then, a Hollywood set dresser wouldn't care, would he... :)

The biplane picture might have been something like a Heinkel 51.

I don't really see Klink as a fighter pilot, though.

Ron Wanttaja

Aerowerx

Did the same sort of Google search that Kyle probably did; didn't see any shots of a biplane.
I guess you will have to watch a couple of episodes and watch for the picture on the wall of his office.

Klemperer was about 45 years old when the series was made, so that would have made Klink almost 20 in WWI. He did have a pickelhaube on his desk, which strongly implies he had been in the German military during the Great War. There were enough serving officers who had worn them in earnest; they'd likely take umbrage at Klink displaying a helmet that he'd never earned.
The medals on his uniform indicates he was in WWI, and is definitely a pilot. He also earned an iron cross twice(on time in each war), and was involved in some Luftwaffe ground action. Not sure what that means.

Last edited:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
He is Major Hochstetter, Gestapo.

Or do you mean the line "Vat ist dis man doing here?"
I grew up watching the show :) I know the character well... He'd say "who is this man" as well as "what is this man doing here?"

I have a dim memory of the biplane in the photos being a D-7. But yes, I'm sure set dressers on a comedy in the 1960's weren't held to any sort of accurate historic standards.

They did one episode where Klink and Hogan steal a P-51 for the Germans, and Klink is terrified of flying in it. They wind up bailing out.

TFF

I believe Oliver Wendell Douglas bailed from a P-51 into Lisa’s arms, and she hid him from the Germans.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Major Hochstetter, Colonel Klink, Corporal LeBeau, Sergeant Schultz, General Burkhalter.... they all could have sat down between takes and had a Seder dinner (Jewish holiday) on the set :)

Last edited:

plncraze

HBA Supporter
I never really understood Schultz until I worked in a medium large company. After that I thought he was a genius. Also Klemperer came from a famous family of musicians