Hi to everyone

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

ElectricFlyer

I am 50 yrs old and I am going through a mid lift crisis.... I think, iching to do something new. I was thinking of just getting a new truck but decided to see about building an ultralight airplane and then learning to fly it or vice versa, get license and then build something. I did a intro to hanggliding when I was a young lad and regret never following through on it. Found this site just looking around and thought Id pop in and lurk to see whats popular to build these days. I am a pretty handy guy -- I have built a couple recumbent bicycles so I figured all I have to do is build another and add a wing and motor :>) Anyway -- got the wifes approval so here I am!
Cheers, Patrick

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome, Patrick! Do some research and start to figure out what you want. There are a lot of choices. As a rule, if you ask open ended questions here you won't get much useful help, but if you ask specific questions people here will be very helpful.

Dana

ElectricFlyer

Thanks for the kind words. My likes are currently leaning towards the hang glider style with the trike on it. The ElectraFlyer Trike and Icaro 2000 Electric trike caught my eye for the type of flying I want to do -- simple and compact for storage and travel -- trikes look easy to build - purchase a wing - piece together an RC giant scale motors and drive kit -- and good to fly.
Up here in Canada we need to get a permit/license for ultralight flying --I am researching that now.

Cheerss, Patrick

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Welcome to HBA Patrick,

Don't worry, it's not a midlife crisis. All of us who have been bitten by the aviation bug were born with the condition... it's just a matter of how long you can resist the urges. ;)

I'm not one to talk someone out of their preference, but...

I've flown and enjoyed hang gliders. I have also flown trikes, but did not enjoy them at all. I always felt like the trike was lacking in proper response and waiting to bite me if I got careless. I have flown rigid wing ultralights and found them to be delightful.

You might take a look at the Dream Classic from Airdrome Aeroplanes as an alternative; they are both affordable and easy to build.

Airdrome Aeroplanes ~ Holden, MO

Bruce :)

don january

Log Member
Hey Patrick: welcome to HBA. get ya a nice single seat, I'm sure you'll like it and then upscale to a craft where your friend's can go. good luck and have fun and be safe........;)

ElectricFlyer

Welcome to HBA Patrick,

Don't worry, it's not a midlife crisis. All of us who have been bitten by the aviation bug were born with the condition... it's just a matter of how long you can resist the urges. ;)

I've flown and enjoyed hang gliders. I have also flown trikes, but did not enjoy them at all. I always felt like the trike was lacking in proper response and waiting to bite me if I got careless. I have flown rigid wing ultralights and found them to be delightful.

You might take a look at the Dream Classic from Airdrome Aeroplanes as an alternative; they are both affordable and easy to build.

Hey Bruce - thanks , I like the way the Dream Classic flys -- but that front and above motor I am not liking so much - it also does not look like it is fold up friendly that I could findanyway. Need that to take it away and store when not using.

I also just started watch some gyrocopter videos -- nice compact units but the rotor noise may not be to my liking - I want to be able to get some altitude and turn the motors off a just glid hearing only the wind.

Later Patrick

Victor Bravo

Hi Patrick,

To the others here I might be sounding like a broken record... record...ecord... ecord... but consider the Zenith STOL 701 or 750. There are several reasons that I have suggested this aircraft before to others, but I have not yet built one myself.

It is very easy and straightforward to build, with top notch factory support and a thriving online community of peer support.
It is safe, proven, and has excellent capabilities (for what it was designed to do).
It is very very very suitable for you to get your sport pilot license in (save thousands on trainer rental).
It will allow you to take your wife with you on incredible adventures (trust me, this is key to your survival).
It has the capability to operate from small or remote ultralight fields, farm fields and dirt roads if appropriate.
It has the capability to operate from (and "fit" in with) larger municipal airports if appropriate.
It is an excellent back country camping/fishing/exploring airplane with exceptional "off-road" bush plane capability.
It is easily equipped with wheels, float pontoons, and skiis (all available and interchangeable).
It is relatively inexpensive to build, equip, and operate. Does not require a hangar ifyou don't have one available.
It is funky and kinda oddball, most people think it is "cosmetically challenged" (it is), but when you consideer what its primary purpose is it suddenly becomes attractive just like a Jeep or a sledgehammer.

Worth a look into is all I'm saying.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
Welcome to HBA Patrick,

I agree with the above in general and have flown just about everything. Most trikes (WSC) these days a big heavy and fast with a R 912 powerplant. I have a North Wing, single seat, ATF and that sounds much closer to what you are looking for in a WSC if that is where you are going. Unfortunately, you can't just try one, you have to learn and buy one. Although the larger trikes do break down, nobody does except for seasonal changes in some cases. The small FAR 103 compliant (true UL) are much easier to break down as necessary, and do breakdown and transport much better than the fixed wings.

I solved my mid life crisis by getting a good bicycle instead of a Corvette and have been pleased with that decision ever since. I did have other ways to fly however.

FAR 103 is a great way to fly for fun.

Lucrum

Log Member
I am 50 yrs old and I am going through a mid lift crisis.... I think, iching to do something new. I was thinking of just getting a new truck but decided to see about building an ultralight airplane and then learning to fly it or vice versa, get license and then build something. I did a intro to hanggliding when I was a young lad and regret never following through on it. Found this site just looking around and thought Id pop in and lurk to see whats popular to build these days. I am a pretty handy guy -- I have built a couple recumbent bicycles so I figured all I have to do is build another and add a wing and motor :>) Anyway -- got the wifes approval so here I am!
Cheers, Patrick
Spousal approval eh? I suggest you get started, before she changes her mind. :)

ElectricFlyer

Hi Patrick,

To the others here I might be sounding like a broken record... record...ecord... ecord... but consider the Zenith STOL 701 or 750. There are several reasons that I have suggested this aircraft before to others, but I have not yet built one myself.

It is very easy and straightforward to build, with top notch factory support and a thriving online community of peer support.
It is safe, proven, and has excellent capabilities (for what it was designed to do).
It is very very very suitable for you to get your sport pilot license in (save thousands on trainer rental).
It will allow you to take your wife with you on incredible adventures (trust me, this is key to your survival).
It has the capability to operate from small or remote ultralight fields, farm fields and dirt roads if appropriate.
It has the capability to operate from (and "fit" in with) larger municipal airports if appropriate.
It is an excellent back country camping/fishing/exploring airplane with exceptional "off-road" bush plane capability.
It is easily equipped with wheels, float pontoons, and skiis (all available and interchangeable).
It is relatively inexpensive to build, equip, and operate. Does not require a hangar ifyou don't have one available.
It is funky and kinda oddball, most people think it is "cosmetically challenged" (it is), but when you consideer what its primary purpose is it suddenly becomes attractive just like a Jeep or a sledgehammer.

Worth a look into is all I'm saying.
Thx for the recommendation -- I would have to agree if my decision was based on looks alone, not my 1st choice, or 2nd or 3rd or 4th... kidding! As I look around I don't like that traditional " engine up front " type of aircraft design. My main desire is to get out flying an enjoy the view - can't do that with an engine sitting between me and the view.
My other main factors:
-not be dependent on others for storage
-Mobility if I want to take it some where
-Low cost for operation

Cheers, Patrick

ElectricFlyer

Spousal approval eh? I suggest you get started, before she changes her mind. :)
Let be perfectly clear on my definition on "wife approval". She said no, and I am doing it anyway ;)

Honestly she was not too keen on it but did not say no, she just wants to make sure I keep safe and the cost down as much as possible and not necessarily that order:gig:

Cheers, Patrick