Hello! I'm new to HBA!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Plane-Guy

Hello!
Ever since I was 3 years old, I loved airplanes. I always loved looking up at the sky and watching as airplanes flew by (Yes I am aware of that rhyme;)). In fact, I loved airplanes so much that I was basically the "Plane Guy" of my school. One day we had to choose a topic for a class project and I chose: Environmental Impacts of Aircraft on the Environment. The grade I got for that assignment was a different story, but it really got me thinking. The world is really getting polluted by airplanes and it needs to stop. So from that moment on, I wanted to make an Eco-Friendly Airplane. So far I haven't actually done it but recently I remindd myself of it, and I plan on taking this into action.

So, that was my story. I have been designing an electronic ultralight for the past week or so but I lack good aerodynamic knowledge. I plan on using this site to assist me in my endeavor.

Thanks a lot,
PlaneGuy

Turd Ferguson

Hello!
Ever since I was 3 years old, I loved airplanes. I always loved looking up at the sky and watching as airplanes flew by (Yes I am aware of that rhyme;)). In fact, I loved airplanes so much that I was basically the "Plane Guy" of my school. One day we had to choose a topic for a class project and I chose: Environmental Impacts of Aircraft on the Environment. The grade I got for that assignment was a different story, but it really got me thinking. The world is really getting polluted by airplanes and it needs to stop. So from that moment on, I wanted to make an Eco-Friendly Airplane. So far I haven't actually done it but recently I remindd myself of it, and I plan on taking this into action.

So, that was my story. I have been designing an electronic ultralight for the past week or so but I lack good aerodynamic knowledge. I plan on using this site to assist me in my endeavor.

Thanks a lot,
PlaneGuy
Why can't you simply attach your "electronic" powerplant to an existing airframe? After all, its only the engine that is really polluting the world, isn't it?

But while we are on that subject, how much of the world's total internal combustion pollutants are caused by airplanes? A fraction of a percent? Or am I overestimating?

RPM314

By far the most pollution is caused by electricity production and transportation (cars, boats, airliners, etc). GA is a tiny contributor but it'll eventually have to go electric like everything else. Lead the way, plane guy!

Plane-Guy

Why can't you simply attach your "electronic" powerplant to an existing airframe? After all, its only the engine that is really polluting the world, isn't it?
It is the Engine, but still I would rather design my own, because I would like to create something different, something unique.
By far the most pollution is caused by electricity production and transportation (cars, boats, airliners, etc). GA is a tiny contributor but it'll eventually have to go electric like everything else. Lead the way, plane guy!
And yeah, it's true, planes only produce around 0.05 percent of greenhouse gases or something like that, but I love planes. I don't want them to be something that contributes to the conversion of the earths finite resources into greenhouse gases.

Thanks,
PlaneGuy

RPM314

Good to hear. About the pilot thing, it's never too early to start training. Get a flight sim, failing that get started in RC
Either will better prepare you for full scale.

BJC

HBA Supporter
And yeah, it's true, planes only produce around 0.05 percent of greenhouse gases or something like that, but I love planes. I don't want them to be something that contributes to the conversion of the earths finite resources into greenhouse gases.
You plan to charge the energy storage device for your electronic engine from nuclear power?

BJC

Turd Ferguson

there's an old saying in aviation-don't test a new airframe and new engine at the same time. At any rate, good luck.

And FWIW, all resources on the planet are finite, including water. I don't think there are any pipelines coming in from space.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Some would argue that planes should create more greenhouse gas.

[video=youtube;oxFm1TXshZY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxFm1TXshZY[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

autoreply

there's an old saying in aviation-don't test a new airframe and new engine at the same time. At any rate, good luck.

And FWIW, all resources on the planet are finite, including water. I don't think there are any pipelines coming in from space.
Actually, there is. Water on earth comes from meteorites, that in turn come from comets ;-)

Grelly

Hi Plane-Guy,

I started by learning to fly gliders. It's a really good place to start. It teaches you many of the essential skills, it's relatively cost-friendly and (once you are airborne), doesn't burn fuel.

Good luck which ever way you go.

Grelly

Plane-Guy

You plan to charge the energy storage device for your electronic engine from nuclear power?

BJC
Sorry wasn't too clear on that. I was leaning towards intense solar (like hours of constant charging). But if anyone would like to suggest anything I'd appreciate it greatly.

Plane-Guy

I wasn't planning on testing them at the same time, but thanks for the reassurance. And virtually all resources are finite but some more than others, if you understand my point.

Thanks,
PlaneGuy

BJC

HBA Supporter
Sorry wasn't too clear on that. I was leaning towards intense solar (like hours of constant charging). But if anyone would like to suggest anything I'd appreciate it greatly.
Have you calculated the size and cost of the required solar panels, the time required to charge your storage device (Battery? What type?) with full sunshine, and the time required in typical fall and winter solar intensity?

BJC

Plane-Guy

Last edited:

BJC

HBA Supporter
Am I crazy to believe that two electric scooter 36v 1000w electric motors and two 3x 12v 22ah batteries would work?

Please tell me if there is something I'm not seeing or understanding.
I'm not aware of any practical man-carrying airplane tht will fly on that power.

BJC