• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

General CG/Wing Placement Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toobuilder

Supporting Member
I understand the aero requirements for CG, stability, etc, (rather, I understand that they are IMPORTANT, and I have much reading to do ;)). Concerning actual "nuts and bolts": when designing an airframe, how does one determine the wing location in the structure? I understand weight and balance thoroughly, but that's when I can put my hands on something and weigh it and know where it is placed along the arm. How do you deal with the "theoretical" weight of the aft fuselage, tail, wing, etc, when they are still on paper? Is the process as simple as finding similar components that DO exist and then take your best shot? Is it OK to adjust the wing position a few inches fore/aft as you actually build parts? Seems like a chicken/egg thing... :confused:

Back