• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Fuel Cap Lever - Installation Thoughts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just bought a pair of Newton Aero 500 locking caps with filler necks for glassing into the wing skins. Very nice hardware, great looking. Aircraft Spruce carries them.
Aero 500

Then it occurs to me that these filler necks are smooth. Anybody else think that the rim that is glassed in should have some holes in it to lock it against rotation? Anybody have any experience to share on this topic?

And then once I go to fly it (a long ways off, I know) which way do I face the lever? The lever has a thumb tab that is nicely ramped if you put the lever forward, but slightly scoop shaped if the lever is aft... It occurs to me that if the cap is not locked and you put the lever forward a combination of airload and vibration could lift the lever it in flight. Once it starts up, it gets a bigger and bigger look at the air. My airplane has a Vd of 268 knots, which gives a q of 245 lb/ft^2, or about 1.7 psi. Doesn't seem like enough to lift the cap... Nonetheless, if putting it aft is safer, then the thumb tab is sticking up a little like a scoop, so it looks like it might want to open whichever way it is put on. Anyone with experience on this that they would like to share?

Billski

Back