Flight Helmets?

Discussion in 'Rules and Regulations / Flight Safety / Better Pil' started by TXFlyGuy, Jun 16, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 16, 2019 #1

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

I have always been under the impression that wearing a good flight helmet would go a long ways in saving your butt if you had a high G impact and crash.

But, there is evidence that a helmet really won't do that much for you. Two recent crashes, a T-51 and a P-51, illustrate the point.

Both crashes were fatal. In one case, the pilot was wearing a helmet. It did not save him.

In the P-51, the passenger died from the impact. He was not wearing a helmet, but the UK authorities stated in the accident report that a helmet would not have saved him.

So...what real good is a helmet? Unless your are a biker, then it makes a lot of sense.

2. Jun 16, 2019 #2

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

Super Moderator Staff Member

The brain is pretty delicate and complicated, while the rest of our bodies are considerably sturdier to bashing them with stuff. I say protect that brain. I wear a helmet on a bicycle, snowboarding, and wore one while motorcycling. I will have one for the homebuilt too.

The helmet keeps you from getting dazed or cut from a head smack on something, so your wits stay with you after those sorts of events. if the crash is modest, like finding a ditch, hedge line or tree on the slow end of the emergency landing, it could well be the difference between getting out with minor injuries vs having a brain injury. But no helmet will help you if your roll it over on an inadequate rollover structure or riding a developed spin or spiral into the ground...

Billski

SVSUSteve likes this.
  3. Jun 16, 2019 #3

Deuelly

Deuelly

Deuelly

I have a friend who crashed a warbird while wearing a helmet. The crash left a huge gash in the helmet. He was dazed from the impact but was able to get out of the plane before it burst into flames. He believes, and I do too, that he would have been extra crispy with out the helmet.

Brandon

MadRocketScientist and TXFlyGuy like this.
  4. Jun 16, 2019 #4

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

This is a good argument in favor of a helmet.

5. Jun 16, 2019 #5

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

I don't know, in the AG spray world helmets save lives, those are usually the stall/spin it in, hit stationary immobile objects at speed and CFIT scenarios.

Any impact you've got this bowling ball that's going to be thrown around the cabin. It's full of stuff you probably want to save.

I wear helmets, I even carry them in the Mooney. There's 3 mountain airports I won't even consider going into without putting it on before descent, because it's almost always a heck of a ride once you drop below the peaks in the afternoon/evening. I have smacked my noggin off the glass on all 3 of those approaches before. One was doing my "mountain training" and the only reason we survived was because the trainer was able to take over - I ended up with a good concussion. I didn't loose consciousness but I sure don't remember anything after the impact, only bits and pieces before I arrived at the hospital (probably almost 2 hours later - ground ambulance from buttf* nowhere) if I had been alone would I have been able to land?

I've been heckled more than once for it, don't give a frick. Use then biking, mortobiking, tobogganing, why wouldn't I? 26 years on construction sites with specialized PPE, safety culture got engrained I guess.

SVSUSteve likes this.
  6. Jun 16, 2019 #6

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator Staff Member

Helmets don't protect against all possible scenarios. That doesn't mean helmets are worthless.

SVSUSteve, RSD and MadRocketScientist like this.
  7. Jun 16, 2019 #7

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Must be a trick question...
    It protects your head from a whole bunch of stuff that would otherwise damage it. Why wouldn't you wear one?

SVSUSteve likes this.
  8. Jun 16, 2019 #8

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

Never said that a helmet would not be used. But there are many accidents where the report clearly states the helmet was of no use in saving the occupant's life, or the statement is made that a helmet would have been zero help.

Just trying to find an accident report where they clearly state..."Both occupants lives were saved due to the wearing of good flight helmets."

Post crash fire has already been pointed out. But every accident report that I have seen lately would argue that a helmet is not any promise of surviving.

With regards to P-51 Mustangs, there have been a number of recent crashes over the past few years. Each one fatal. I'm pretty sure that each of the pilots who perished were wearing a helmet.

9. Jun 16, 2019 #9

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

Person experience: we all survived when a King Air - carrying 7 skydivers - force-landed in a farm field. All four staff members wore helmets, but still suffered concussions. I wore a Pro-Tec and only suffered a minor concussion.
    OTOH the staff member wearing a French leather helmet suffered the worst brain injuries. He severed his corpus collosum (sp?) and was in a coma for a month and a half. Doctors did not expect him to live. The stubborn old paratrooper proved them all wrong by recovering enough to drive a car, ride a motorcycle and even make a few more skydives. However, he will never be half the man he used to be!

Hephaestus likes this.
  10. Jun 16, 2019 #10

Charles_says

Charles_says

Charles_says

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

The helmet, is not supposed to save your life. Period.
    The purpose of a helmet is to mitigate injury to the head.
    Wearing a helmet will not save you from a broken neck, Spinal injury, or blunt trauma to the thoracic area , all of which can bring about your demise.

Seat belts, only save lives because staying inside the vehicle protects you more than being ejected thru the windshield at 50+ MPH.
    But it takes less wording on safety posters to say "Seatbelts Save Lives".

Something that has been ingrained in most of the GenPub since birth!

Hephaestus likes this.
  11. Jun 16, 2019 #11

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

What about the gazillion accidents where a helmet prevented/reduced injury. ...I still think it's a trick question ;)

12. Jun 16, 2019 #12

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

Know six people who are dead today because they hit their head on a minor roll over accident/ brushed wires / screwed the pooch after forced landing - engine failure,2 caught fire and were unable to exit the aircraft. 2 DOI (splattered noodles). 1 drowned and 1 smothered...

They could of used a helmet .....Just to be able to exit the wreck....

13. Jun 16, 2019 #13

BJC

BJC

BJC

You are wearing it in the wrong place, TX.

BJC

14. Jun 16, 2019 #14

BJC

BJC

BJC

I would like to be wearing a helmet if I have to parachute from an out-of-control airplane, to protect my head from the airplane.

Also consider this (he almost needed a hard, protective helmet)

BJC

flyinut likes this.
  15. Jun 16, 2019 #15

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

Now you tell me...

BJC likes this.
  16. Jun 16, 2019 #16

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

`Scuse me, but aren't all the Kamikaze pilots in the war films wearing helmets?
    Truth to tell, there is no panacea for all the types of wrecks, so be aware of the "Silent Evidence" of those who did not live to tell the tale.

17. Jun 17, 2019 #17

AdvenJack

AdvenJack

AdvenJack

Florida - Between St. Pete & Weeki Wachee
    The video in post # 14 is terrifying!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Below however, is a horse of a different color...

Originally by TX Fly Guy:
    I have always been under the impression that wearing a good flight helmet would
    go a long ways in saving your butt if you had a high G impact and crash.

:D:DThis is "floggin'" hysterical!!!:D:D

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  18. Jun 17, 2019 #18

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

The reference was made to some folks I have known...whose brains were not located in the upper part of the anatomy. If you know what I mean?

19. Jun 17, 2019 #19

AdvenJack

AdvenJack

AdvenJack

Florida - Between St. Pete & Weeki Wachee
    TX F G,

First I humbly say I am sorry if I failed to communicate what I desired to communicate.
    Your post about helmets covering butts was certainly clear.
    When BJC, with an obvious humorous reply stated: "You are wearing it in the wrong place."
    my funny bone got hit and I laughed aloud. So I wanted to pat B J C on the back.

20. Jun 17, 2019 #20

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

I agree. I did the same...but asked why he took so long to let me know it was in the wrong place. BTW, my flight surgeon has never found any brains in my lower extremity.

My sense of humor is twisted, for sure.

akwrencher likes this.