Flight Helmets?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Mark Schoening

HBA Supporter
Guess I'm stubborn old school - clarity aloft headset, sunglasses, and shoulder restraints. That's it. Any more than that and I feel trussed up, no freedom to move, to look around, and I get all hot and sweaty.
I know, I'll never make it to my own funeral, but I'll voluntarily take my chances.:p

BJC

HBA Supporter
Guess I'm stubborn old school - clarity aloft headset, sunglasses, and shoulder restraints. That's it. Any more than that and I feel trussed up, no freedom to move, to look around, and I get all hot and sweaty.
I know, I'll never make it to my own funeral, but I'll voluntarily take my chances.:p
Well, sure, but TX, with a flight helmet, parachute, and white silk scarf, in a scaled P-51, will have a certain je ne sais quoi that I never will have.

Daleandee

A flight helmet is lighter, designed to protect your head against single impacts against aircraft structure, whereas a motorcycle helmet protects you against a more drawn out tumble and slide along pavement.
I don't use a flight helmet but this thread does give one a reason to pause and reconsider.

It was Presidents Day in 2011 that I was riding my motorcycle on the Interstate and was struck from behind by a driver traveling at a high rate of speed. By the Grace of God and a helmet I'm here without any lasting effects from that crash. I did tumble for what seemed like a very long time after the initial impact of my head with the pavement as I threw my hands up to soften the impact. It helps to "tuck & roll" in these situations.

Helmets work! It took awhile for me to ride again but I did purchase another bike last year. I do stay away from intestate traffic though ...

Dale
N319WF

narfi

So when does Garmin start selling one with their full suite integrated?

Reactions: BJC

Saville

I wear a flight helmet whenever flying Acro or doing flight test. Gloves and Nomex...not so much though I'm tending towards that more and more. I also have a set of goggles I wear in case of birdstrike.

The helmet I wear is this one:

AcroHelmet1.jpg

It's a Korean Era P3 modernized with today's electronics and padding between the shell and the head web - all from Oregon Aero. I wear goggles with it.

Flow

I wonder if the reason a lot of flight helmet are open face is based on the traditional pairing with masks. IIRC Elliot Seguin mentions that the mask is also intended to provide a meaningful degree of impact protection which make sense as I have heard of folks taking them selves out on the control column in moderate G bungles.

Thinking a skydiving helmet with audio and a cannula O2 retrofit could be light with a good field of view and tick a few boxes save fire proofing.

Last edited:

BJC

HBA Supporter
Never having worn one of those I can't speak authoritatively but I wonder if the lower front part of the helmet blocks your field of view.
A helmet for flying, especially for aerobatics or air combat, requires a greater field of view than motorsport helmets. I agree; the helmet in the photo will seriously restrict the wearer’s view.

BJC

Saville

Don't see why it would unless you're navel gazing.
When I'm flying acro - say a loop - I have my head tilted back to catch the horizon when it comes into view. But occasionally I glance at the altimeter to see how I'm doing with regard to making the loop nice and circular.

I don't move my head - I look down. That chin piece looks like it would block my view.

Rockiedog2

I would like to be wearing a helmet if I have to parachute from an out-of-control airplane, to protect my head from the airplane.

Also consider this (he almost needed a hard, protective helmet)

BJC
I thought Vietnam was bad.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
What if like you have head trauma but live and you know … you can still think but nothing works like it is supposed to anymore and as a bonus you look really ugly too?

User27

Have a look at Bone Head Composites sky diving helmets and Card Machine Works headsets.
I use a Guner helmet and accept it might hurt my ears if I ever had to jump quickly.

Mark Schoening

HBA Supporter
What if like you have head trauma but live and you know … you can still think but nothing works like it is supposed to anymore and as a bonus you look really ugly too?
I Am ugly, and at my age nothing works anyway, and if I have, like, head trauma then the only thing I need to think about is next what flavor is the feeding tube.
NO bubble wrap for me.....'cept if the guberment passes a law.....Naw, I'll ignor it..