FAA Knowledge Tests

Discussion in 'Rules and Regulations / Flight Safety / Better Pil' started by bmcj, Aug 20, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 20, 2019 #1

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Hi all,

I am helping someone study and was looking over some practice FAA tests. As an engineer, some of their reasons bother me. For example, they always seem to conflate the point of minimum drag with the point of max L/D. They always show the point of minimum drag on the curve, but refer to it as max L/D.

Here's another one for you... how would you answer this?

upload_2019-8-20_13-11-3.png

Attached Files:

2. Aug 20, 2019 #2

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

There's the answers the FAA decrees and wants you to know, and then there's reality. I've been studying for the Sport Pilot knowledge test, and the aerodynamics section even in that basic exam is a mess.

Memorize what the FAA wants to hear, and move on. No sense trying to fight it.

In terms of that particular question, the actual correct answer is, "none of the above," but it's probably not best to push that point if you're actually the one taking the test.

3. Aug 20, 2019 #3

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

"Drag divergence occurs when the drag on an airfoil starts to increase faster as the Mach number increases."

We all know that vortex generators only work above .8 mach so C is out. :p

I hate these kind of questions. Skip to 1:30

wsimpso1 and SVSUSteve like this.
  4. Aug 20, 2019 #4

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

SVSUSteve

What is it called when the buildup of pressure in your head as you try to figure out how the FAA keeps screwing up basic aerodynamics so badly causes a nose down pitching moment that often results in your head hitting your desk?

Mach “what the ****?”.

Mcmark, Topaz and Hephaestus like this.
  5. Aug 20, 2019 #5

BJC

BJC

BJC

For unaccelerated flight, lift is constant. Therefore, the point of minimum total drag, i.e., where induced drag equals profile drag, is the point of maximum L/D for the airplane, but not necessarily for the wing.

I wonder who wrote the question and the answer choices.

BJC

6. Aug 20, 2019 #6

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

When I was in A&P school the teacher said their formula for "k" for bending was wrong and would not work on their own test. This was almost 20 years ago and I don't believe it was on my written. There are many who are bothered by FAA tests. My other instructor in A&P school told his examiner that pressure carb questions were stupid. He said something like "...find me a plane on this airport with a pressure carb..."

7. Aug 21, 2019 #7

BJC

BJC

BJC

I have one 40 feet away in the hangar.

BJC

wsimpso1 and Mcmark like this.
  8. Aug 21, 2019 #8

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

9. Aug 21, 2019 #9

Pops

Pops

Pops

FAA test were written by DMV workers while on break. :)

gtae07, Derswede, flyinut and 4 others like this.
  10. Aug 21, 2019 #10

TFF

TFF

TFF

Ah, the questions written for the most correct not completely right. Nothing like an answer that is wrong but more right than the ones it’s grouped with. The FAA writers think they are being funny with an inside joke. Of course we are all laughing because they are clueless on being funny.

Mcmark likes this.
  11. Aug 23, 2019 #11

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

Glad it's not just me having issues with the FAA mentality.
    I'm studying to finish up my Private and constantly shake my head in disbelief as to what is being taught.
    Several times I've had to close the books/ turn off DVD and just walk away out of pure frustration.
    I like to think that I'm a fairly intelligent person but .........it's bad when the exam questions have only wrong answers and you're suppose to pick the least wrong answer out of the given choices even though it's still WRONG !!!
    It can be discouraging..........

As a side note......
    I would like to see whomever wrote some of the information try to apply it to my Traumahawk in a real flight scenario.....that plane will spank their *ss for them and send them on their way to the hospital/morgue.

Kevin

12. Aug 24, 2019 #12

TFF

TFF

TFF

You don’t study for the information, you study for the answer. Take the written, pass, never to be used again. Don’t try and learn, regurgitate. I also noticed they generally have four versions of the same question. So they do them in groups. The oral part is studied different from the written. Do not try and use written studying as oral knowledge. If you want to understand, that is for after you have the license. Remember too, it’s a US government license. It is a red tape trail government style. In a way it’s goes against everything else they license. Most licenses are for business not person.

Pops likes this.
  13. Aug 24, 2019 #13

BeemerNut

BeemerNut

BeemerNut

TFF, had to ask, you must of experienced the FAA's great exams back in the early 70's era? I sense a smart older and intelligent person dealing with facts.
    The "most correct answer" sure messed up many test takers vs pick an A to E answer finding one 100% correct answer jogging your memory. Checking three out of five answers another question to ponder over.
    After eight quarters of FAA controlled certified Junior College program with them shifting offered classes around several times they ended up meshing perfectly allowing completion within 24 months, passing both A & P tests taken same day first time before turning age 21 back in January 74.
    Enter the dark era of commercial aviation in 1975.....~~=o&o>.......

14. Aug 24, 2019 #14

BeemerNut

BeemerNut

BeemerNut

"pressure carb" or was he talking Pressure Differential carb operation?
    Started A&P school summer of 71, out in summer 73, passed 73 official license in hand February 74. Books were my only dollar expenses.
    Memorize what the FAA wants to hear, and move on. No sense trying to fight it.[/QUOTE]

What they want to hear also applies with the DMV taking the motorcycle written and practical.
    Applying DMV's rules on the road will get you killed rather quickly riding motorcycles, 50 years and counting riding defensive.....~~=o&o>.......

Charles_says and Pops like this.
  15. Aug 24, 2019 #15

Pops

Pops

Pops

If you learn how to take a gov test, you can pass the test and have very little knowledge of the subject.

Charles_says and Mcmark like this.
  16. Aug 24, 2019 #16

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

BeemerNut.....you are correct about the DMV and their written & road tests.
    On the written test I missed 1 question and argued with the lady over the answer.
    The question went something to this affect : what is the appropriate dress for riding a motorcycle ?
    1. Brightly colored clothing
    2. Leather and protective gear/helmet
    3. ? Dont remember
    4. ? Dont remember
    I chose 2. Leather and protective gear/helmet.
    She marked it wrong stating that 1. bright clothing was the correct answer.
    I remember arguing with her until she marked the answer correct...explaining to her the cost of skin grafts and feeding tubes.

Then on my road test the lady tried to gig me on 2 separate tasks after proclaiming that she hated Jap bikes.
    1. Left turn around a cone within a particular diameter.
    I explained to her that I could not turn my bike that tightly to the left because of the steering stabilizer...she didnt want to hear it.
    Soooo......a little throttle...a little clutch...break the tail loose....leave a nice black mark...turn completed within the specified diameter and no foot down doing it.
    She wasnt amused...
    2. Stop from 45 mph within a particular distance...
    While I was going to the other end of the parking lot and turning around she picked up the cone and moved it about 20 feet closer as I was accelerating towards the braking line.....
    One stoppie later and I was setting well within her newly defined space...to her amazement.
    She had no sense of humor at that point and really needed to get laid evidently.

She reluctantly handed me the paperwork for my license to which I dutifully acknowledged with about a 1/2 mile wheelie as I left heading towards the courthouse.......

Sorry....didnt mean to take the thread off track but it goes to show that the government and its procedures are about as **** dumb as can be....

Kevin

Charles_says and Pops like this.
  17. Aug 24, 2019 #17

TFF

TFF

TFF

Nope. I’m a youngster of 54. I have taken five over the years and I am a terrible at memorizing. I realized early, that the stuff made no sense, so don’t clutter meaning in it. I told myself it’s required, shut up and do it. Did well on all. I am not a CFI but I have had to answer cfi questions when the official one was late or on the phone; I sometimes will bring up alternative thoughts for their conversations. One PHD was struggling because it had to make sense to him. He had spent 7 years in graduate school and he tackled his license tests like his PhD and was failing because the flawed answers were the correct ones. He got through but he slogged in the hardest way because he could not accept spend two weeks learning what they want to hear. It took him 6 months of fighting trying to nitpick it. He almost did not get through. Aviation is adaptability; definitely not logic. Hold your nose and get it down, or you don’t get to play.

Mcmark likes this.
  18. Aug 24, 2019 #18

Mcmark

Mcmark

Mcmark

Working for a municipality in the DC region, I see the lunacy everyday... but the benefits are excellent!
    I’ve taken the Private, Comm, and A&P exams. Passed them all. Best method for me is just learn the right answer, wether it makes sense or not. I have usually done a weekend crash course on the exam. They teach you the answers.
    It’s gov’t none of it’s logical.

19. Aug 24, 2019 #19

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

The guy who sits next to me at work is an inactive CFII who gripes all the time about how the FAA's official materials get the aerodynamics and physics wrong.

20. Aug 24, 2019 #20

Pops

Pops

Pops

Gee, looks like other people know how to take gov test :) Just have to learn how to dumb your brain down to their level.

Took a drivers test one time and done it backwards and a little faster rate of speed than they wanted. I passed.
    Drive a car on the road of over a year and finally took the test when I was 15 years old. This world is sure different now.